UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 11:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2016
Posts: 642
Default Netbook, back again

On 07/07/2019 10:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

I vaguely recall the previous thread.
Have you got any devices using WiFi with this router working *as I
type* ?


Remembering the previous thread, is the "dodgy" laptop the only device
running WinXP?

No, most are but I also have a laptop rarely used that has xp and works ok.

  #12   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 11:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2016
Posts: 642
Default Netbook, back again

On 07/07/2019 10:46, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2019 10:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 09:28:48 +0100, ss wrote:

Having another attempt to get this netbook working on wi-fi.


I vaguely recall the previous thread.

Have you got any devices using WiFi with this router working *as I
type* ?



What is the make and model of the router?


Router:


https://imgur.com/wOf8ffd

Netbook is an Asus.
  #13   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 11:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,597
Default Netbook, back again

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 09:28:48 +0100, ss wrote:

Having another attempt to get this netbook working on wi-fi.

It connects to the web if connected to the ethernet cable.


So that tells us it is able to handle TCPIP on the wired port. I can't
remember if you set static entries for the Ethernet but if you didn't
that would suggest DCHP was also working ok.

I have been putting in the various codes / passwords for the router but
then get this message.....


That worries me. There is (normally) only *one* right code and it
shouldn't be a lottery. It is also case sensitive so you must follow
that as well.

"It is asking for a network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits
depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as a 5 or
13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters".


As others have said it suggests it thinks the router is using WEP and
whilst that shouldn't be a problem re connection, it isn't an ideal
solution in general.

The above does not relate to anything on the router label, I have tried
all the numbers/passwords to no avail.


See above.

Anyone know what or where I get this?


What I would still like to hear is that you have booted that netbook
from a Linux USB live image and that the wireless connects (or
doesn't). [1]

A successful connection would prove two things. 1) You are using the
right 'code' and 2) the hardware is compatible.

That's not to say that the Windows drivers were correct ... and I have
had it where an automagically installed (WiFi in this case) driver
doesn't work whereas the one from the WiFi card manufacturer does.

As an aside ... I have also replaced WiFi cards with devices that were
'Linux Compatible' (OOTB) as it was often easier than trying to get
them working in Linux. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. How well did you get on connecting the Netbook to someone else's
(friend / family / iNetCafe) router?

[1] It's only a few clicks to make a bootable Linux USB stick ...

1) Download this file:
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/w...mate-32bit.iso

2) Download and install this USB imaging software (others are
available):
https://unetbootin.github.io/

Open the link here and follow the steps:
https://unetbootin.github.io/#install

Just make sure you have selected the right USB device before hitting
Go! ;-)

Reboot the netbook with the USB stick plugged in and see if you get
the option to boot from it with the popup boot options (F10 etc)?

If it boots, use the 'Try' (not install) option and once at the
desktop, see if the networking icon shows any WiFi networks and if it
does and it shows yours, can you connect to it.

  #14   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 11:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,597
Default Netbook, back again

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 11:37:51 +0100, ss wrote:

snip

Router:


https://imgur.com/wOf8ffd


A dual band Wireless cable router. ;-)

I also have a VM Hub and the first thing I did with it is put it into
'Modem Mode' and use my own router.

I think there are some things you can do re making it less fussy (as a
WiFi router) but I can't remember what.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If the netbook 'worked on that router before but doesn't now', it
could be a firmware update to the router that has affected it:

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wire...a-hub-3-review

"To be fair, Virgin's been working on that issue. In March 2019, the
company announced a major firmware update to the Hub 3, including
three new measures aimed at improving performance. These are automatic
channel-switching, which tries to minimise wireless interference by
switching away from congested radio frequencies; band steering, which
shunts devices from the 2.4GHz band onto the faster 5GHz band wherever
possible; and a new "airtime fairness" feature that prevents any
individual device from monopolising the airwaves and slowing
everything else down."

  #15   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 12:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,964
Default Netbook, back again

On 07/07/2019 11:59, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 11:37:51 +0100, ss wrote:

snip

Router:


https://imgur.com/wOf8ffd


A dual band Wireless cable router. ;-)

I also have a VM Hub and the first thing I did with it is put it into
'Modem Mode' and use my own router.

I think there are some things you can do re making it less fussy (as a
WiFi router) but I can't remember what.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If the netbook 'worked on that router before but doesn't now', it
could be a firmware update to the router that has affected it:

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wire...a-hub-3-review

"To be fair, Virgin's been working on that issue. In March 2019, the
company announced a major firmware update to the Hub 3, including
three new measures aimed at improving performance. These are automatic
channel-switching, which tries to minimise wireless interference by
switching away from congested radio frequencies; band steering, which
shunts devices from the 2.4GHz band onto the faster 5GHz band wherever
possible; and a new "airtime fairness" feature that prevents any
individual device from monopolising the airwaves and slowing
everything else down."



A couple of points to add. The label says how to access the settings
page. Type the "http.... " into the address bar of your browser.

Is the Asus netbook able to see the router on 5GHz? It may only have 2.4.








  #16   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 02:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2009
Posts: 34,390
Default Netbook, back again

On 07/07/2019 11:37, ss wrote:
On 07/07/2019 10:46, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2019 10:40, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 09:28:48 +0100, ss wrote:

Having another attempt to get this netbook working on wi-fi.

I vaguely recall the previous thread.

Have you got any devices using WiFi with this router working *as I
type* ?



What is the make and model of the router?


Router:


https://imgur.com/wOf8ffd

Netbook is an Asus.

well you have scrubbed out the network password

If the netbook USED to work then either its capable of running WPA or
the router used to run WEP as well.

Probanbly BT reconfigured the router so it doesn't, for security reasons.

'Netbook is an Asus' is about as informative as 'car is a Ford'

Why is this so hard?

Make and MODEL number.



--
The theory of Communism may be summed up in one sentence: Abolish all
private property.

Karl Marx

  #17   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 02:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2009
Posts: 34,390
Default Netbook, back again

On 07/07/2019 12:58, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2019 11:59, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 11:37:51 +0100, ss wrote:

snip

Router:


https://imgur.com/wOf8ffd


A dual band Wireless cable router. ;-)

I also have a VM Hub and the first thing I did with it is put it into
'Modem Mode' and use my own router.

I think there are some things you can do re making it less fussy (as a
WiFi router) but I can't remember what.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If the netbook 'worked on that router before but doesn't now', it
could be a firmware update to the router that has affected it:

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wire...a-hub-3-review


"To be fair, Virgin's been working on that issue. In March 2019, the
company announced a major firmware update to the Hub 3, including
three new measures aimed at improving performance. These are automatic
channel-switching, which tries to minimise wireless interference by
switching away from congested radio frequencies; band steering, which
shunts devices from the 2.4GHz band onto the faster 5GHz band wherever
possible; and a new "airtime fairness" feature that prevents any
individual device from monopolising the airwaves and slowing
everything else down."



A couple of points to add.* The label says how to access the settings
page. Type the "http.... " into the address bar of your browser.

Is the Asus netbook able to see the router on 5GHz?* It may only have 2.4.


Irrelevant.

What is clear is that te netbook is seeing the wifi and trying to
connect using WEP which is insecure and not really recommended and may
not in fact even work.

BT - I assume its a BT POS router - dont even put WEP network passwords
on the router.

Only WPA2


Hmm. After googling some more it appears that POS is probebly right and
BT routers seem to start to die and this is possibly a symptom

My guess is uts a home hub 3?

Id try asking BT for a newer one











--
“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.”

― Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV
  #18   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 02:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 5,043
Default Netbook, back again

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ss wrote:

https://imgur.com/wOf8ffd


My guess is uts a home hub 3?


All the occurrences of "VM" in the model name and SSID are a clue ...
  #19   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 07:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2019
Posts: 18
Default Netbook, back again



"ss" wrote in message
...
On 07/07/2019 10:43, Andy Burns wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

I vaguely recall the previous thread.
Have you got any devices using WiFi with this router working *as I type*
?


Remembering the previous thread, is the "dodgy" laptop the only device
running WinXP?

No, most are but I also have a laptop rarely used that has xp and works
ok.


XP can be very unhelpful error message wise when the problem
is as basic as the password failing because you have failed to
save it in the router and the router has been power cycled.

  #20   Report Post  
Old July 7th 19, 07:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,400
Default Netbook, back again

I think the funniest one I saw was when somebody was scratching their head
over something like this, I just entered space and enter and it went ahead
and asked for the normal password. I do not know much about netbooks, but
surely somewhere this behaviour is explained.
Could be it thinks a completely different form of network.
Brian

--
----- --
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message
...
On 07/07/2019 09:28, ss wrote:
Having another attempt to get this netbook working on wi-fi.

It connects to the web if connected to the ethernet cable.
I have been putting in the various codes / passwords for the router but
then get this message.....

"It is asking for a network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits
depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as a 5 or 13
ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters".

The above does not relate to anything on the router label, I have tried
all the numbers/passwords to no avail.

Anyone know what or where I get this?


Do you even understand how to log in to your router and check what the
wifi password is set to? Or set a new one?


--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
survival, to indulging in navel gazing and faux moral investigations into
what the world ought to be, whilst we fail utterly to deal with what it
actually is.





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hollywood NetBook Home & Family Webshop Mixet.se Woodturning 0 July 5th 10 04:45 PM
Hollywood NetBook Webshop Giuelith Diamond Electronics Repair 0 June 30th 10 06:34 PM
Request for copy of Insurance Policy Document for HP 110-1037NR Netbook charlieb Woodturning 6 August 14th 09 11:51 PM
careful with that new netbook... bob Electronics Repair 0 March 5th 09 03:08 PM
NetBook U S A Goteborgbank[_2_] Electronics Repair 0 February 5th 08 10:11 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017