Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Netbook, back again

On 10/07/2019 12:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 11:25:44 +0100, T i m wrote:

I had exactly the same thing when using a Linux newsgroup when reporting
an isssue with overspeed on a wired mouse (FFS). It took someone
offering to come in remotely and try to fix the problem did all the
troll hunters have to eat their words (except being mostly left brainers
they didn't of course). ;-)

The Linux community is probably the single biggest thing holding back the
wider adoption of Linux. I have a stack of excruciatingly detailed issues
posted to the correct forum(s) going back years that are gathering dust.

Then there are the issues I have asked for advice on that I've been told
either don't exist, or aren't linux issues. The standout one being a
subtle mouse issue that everyone insisted was a hardware fault despite it
never happening on the same dual boot machine with the same mouse under
Windows. I was mildly amused to get an email in 2017 from a forum posting
in 2009 from someone who *still* had the same issue (which was introduced
between Dapper and Efty) and pretty much the same lack of belief from the
crowd.

Sadly when majority issues demand attemtion from peoples free time, or
development is confined to IBM supported hardware, that is always going
to be te case.

Buit its not a Linux problem per se.

I had a mobo (that eventually died on me) that would take around about a
minute and a half to pass bios tests when a USB webcam was plugged in

Never mind windows or linux, it never got that far.

There were no bios updates beyond that available.

Likewise there are as you say many outstanding issues that take years to
get solved. Why for example is the linux mint 19 MATE console window
persistently transparent in the menu bar and nowhere else?
Its knwon, its reported, but no one has te time to fix what appears to
be a compatibility iussue between libraries and the x window syetm.

Likewise Aisle Riot - the suite of solitaire games - has always shown
screen corruption when a card is moved off te edge of the window and
back. That's 5 years and counting. No one knows who is responsible.

But that is part of the fun. At least you seldom get crashes and
lockups, and the fact it is a minority desktop system means its barely
worth coding a virus for.

I can show you many issues that never got fixed in windows, too.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that