Paul

Default Furnace problems - repair, replace or ????

vairxpert wrote in message . ..
On 16 Mar 2004 16:22:26 -0800, (Paul) wrote:

My questions:

1) Should I call a "certified" carrier repair person, and get an
estimate for what it would take to fix. Are these furnaces really
that hard to diagnose? I know I need the inducer circuit board at
$365.00. Is it worth getting fixed or

Yes, get someone that knows what they are doing. $365 to install an
inducer board during normal business hours is INSANE.

There is a small wiring kit and instructions that come with the new
inducer boards. Did they install that inducer board as indicated
making the correct modifications? In the past I have received a few
of those inducer board kits without instructions or the mod. parts...I
don't know why Carrier lets crap like that happen. If those guys
don't normally work on Carriers they wouldn't have a clue that
modifications needed to be made. The board will plug in "as is" but
the furnace will not work. From what I recall very strange things
happen with the HSI and possibly the blower.

2) Should I start getting quotes - including a manual j calculation
for a new furnace

It's up to you. The furnace is 14 years old.

3) If I do need a new furnace, are there any issues of mixing and
maxing AC and furnace brands? I'm assuming that there isn't.

Things just need to be sized up right.

3) $245 sounds excessive for a limit switch that is very inexpensive.
What's a reasonable rate for that.

If local and during regular business hours, about $90.00. After hours
or weekends would be higher. Sunday would probably run you around
$150. If you were a regular customer that I liked I'd still probably
only charge you $90.00.

4) If I did have to buy a new furnace, based on my description above,
would you consider going through that shop for a new furnace - I'd
probably get a credit of $245. I think I know the answer to this -
call the local HVAC supply house, and ask them who would they use.

Sometimes intermittent problems can be a pain in the ass to diagnose
but you gave those guys way too many chances. There was also no
excuse for just swapping in a new circuit board when the blower did
not turn on. Sounds like you got some part changers. Since they
can't figure out whats wrong with the furnace they should put it back
as it was, admit defeat and give you all your money back.
Call out someone that knows what they're doing and you may get your
furnace back up and running for under $200.00.

Thanks - hope this has been entertaining for some of you.

Nothing funny about what you've been through.

George

Thanks everyone! I called Carrier, and they gave me a
referral for a local authorized carrier repair person. They will be
coming out tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. One thing that I neglected
to mention (I tried to be thorough!) was that the first person that
put in the limit switch also kicked up the blower speed. The carrier
person said that perhaps (won't know until he's here) the way the
wiring was changed to kick the fan speed up could be part of the
problem. So maybe it was a flakey inducer board, and then wiring
changes that's been giving me the problem. But I'll let the
professionals deal with that, and report back with the results.