Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 02:08:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

For those still following along, I will give a quick summary of what we
know now...

So this is not a WEP/WPA issue.

And some were so convinced it was. ;-)

actually connected without any difficulty.

What it does have is a DHCP problem after having authenticated on the
wifi.

And we know DHCP works over Ethernet.

If I manually assign an IP in the correct subnet, then it works
ok.

Inc DNS etc?

is not a useable solution for the use case required.

Mobile netbook ... I'd still be interested to see if it connects
wirelessly to *another* network.

The router configuration and DHCP setup is fine (and other wifi devices
have connected and DHCPed ok)

I'd be interested to see if that netbook could connect to that router
with Linux. ;-)

This could be related to the issues addressed in KB953761 (DHCP options
not recognised, when sever includes option 43). However that hotfix does
not seem to have done it initially at least, although I am currently
clarifying an issue on that.

And it did connect to that router previously, possibly before VM
rolled out an update?

Can I think you for doing what this group was known for, helping
people in the real use of the word. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Just a thought given your findings, was there a 3rd party
Firewall on there?