Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Magic Indicator

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 21:56:58 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:
snip

And I'd say (round here anyway), most people do ... and there is
generally a friendly atmosphere between dog walkers (we have made many
acquaintances though this), cyclists and boaters alike.

Yes, when I used to cycle a lot more than I do these days, I often used
a couple of public footpaths that were both shortcuts and away from busy
roads. Now I knew bikes were prohibited, but I just pulled to one side
and stopped if a pedestrian came the other way or waited patiently until
a pedestrian going the same way did the same for me - no one ever
complained. A bit of polite cooperation goes a long way.

The Canal Trust website talks of the old ways of 'Doffing your hat'
and the like as a greeting / acknowledgement of others as you pass and
I think that would now be a 'Mornin', Alright', or 'Warm/Cold isn't
it'.

It's nice to see the face of someone break into a smile as you catch
their eye and greet them ... something much more common in many other
counties I'm told.

A mate from Italy thought it very strange that the train we were on
had a near silent carriage.

Cheers, T i m