Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Magic Indicator

For years I've suffered those fools who beieve they havs a magic indicator. Turn it on and go where you like, regardless of other traffic.
This morning I suffered the magic arm. A cyclist who, when I was ion the process of passing, stuck out his right arm and swerved straight out in fromnt of me. When I blew the horns to stop him from committimng suicide beneath my wheels all I got was the fingers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:18:54 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

snip

(Declaration of interest: when my knees used to work I used to be a keen
cyclist (some correlation there maybe? - Ed) but us keen cyclists never
had the time of day for the mad cyclists)

And isn't this the same for nearly every 'group' or small percentage
of the population (members of groups or otherwise)?

We regularly walk our dogs along the towpath and so meet many cyclists
of all types. If they are coming towards us we would generally call
our dogs over and stand aside, even though pedestrians have right of
way on the towpath. We do so because we are just out for a walk and
should keep our dogs 'under control', we don't want our dogs to get in
the way of them or possibly hurt by them in an accident.

If cyclists are approaching from behind we like (expect?) some form of
early warning (and if we get one we do as above) or if not, expect
the cyclist to slow down to whatever speed would be considered safe to
pass us and the dogs without issue.

In the main this is how it works, especially amongst the 'ordinary'
(recreational, hire bike, family group, older) cyclists, just leaving
the Licra racers to spoil it (for everone).

When motorcycling, we do so no differently to when we are walking,
cycling or driving and have only been become inconvenienced once when
arriving at a campsite and seeing a hand made sign that said 'No
Motorcycles'. Had we gone home and got in the car we would have been
allowed in so it wasn't us they had issue with but our chosen form of
transport?

So, the chances are they had a group of motorcyclists where they or
the volume of their bike exhausts caused issues so all motorbike
riders then suffer. We went round to another campsite and asked if
they accepted motorcycles and they said 'Yes, why?' I explained and
they replied 'We give anyone a chance and if they become a nuisance we
throw them off, be they hiking on in a Motorhome'.

A minority of fishermen leave litter, a minority of car drivers drive
like nutters, a minority of football fans are hooligans and a minority
of posters use the d-i-y newsgroup as their personal political soapbox
etc etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

(Declaration of interest: when my knees used to work I used to be a keen
cyclist (some correlation there maybe? - Ed) but us keen cyclists never
had the time of day for the mad cyclists)

And isn't this the same for nearly every 'group' or small percentage
of the population (members of groups or otherwise)?

We regularly walk our dogs along the towpath and so meet many cyclists
of all types. If they are coming towards us we would generally call
our dogs over and stand aside, even though pedestrians have right of
way on the towpath.

AIUI the towpaths of the Canal & River Trust are not rights of way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:45:27 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

snip

I watched them one day and it seems that the kids are being
taught to turn right by simply sticking their right arm out
and without looking, swerve into the centre of the road. Awful.

I still do 'lifesavers' when driving. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

(Declaration of interest: when my knees used to work I used to be a keen
cyclist (some correlation there maybe? - Ed) but us keen cyclists never
had the time of day for the mad cyclists)

And isn't this the same for nearly every 'group' or small percentage
of the population (members of groups or otherwise)?

We regularly walk our dogs along the towpath and so meet many cyclists
of all types. If they are coming towards us we would generally call
our dogs over and stand aside, even though pedestrians have right of
way on the towpath.

AIUI the towpaths of the Canal & River Trust are not rights of way.

I'm not sure I said that did I?

What I said is that 'pedestrians have right of way on the towpath ...
', because they do! ;-)

Point 2 he

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/our-campaigns/share-the-space-our-towpath-code

At some point we had to (should do and we did) get a (free) permit to
use a cycle on the towpath, you didn't as a pedestrian.

I love this quote from their site:

"If you’re in a rush, the towpath is not the best place for you so
please choose a different route.”

Yeah, f'off somewhere else!

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 12:07:17 +0100 (GMT+01:00), "Graham."
wrote:

snip

AIUI the towpaths of the Canal & River Trust are not rights of way.

I think you will find he was referring to common sense priority of
pedestrian over cycle and not the legal status of the route
itself.

Quite. ;-)

I endorse lots of the points mentioned he

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-...drop-your-pace

Particularly:

"If you're running or cycling even at a leisurely pace, you will still
be traveling a lot faster than other towpath visitors. The towpath is
not the place for time trials or getting your PB, so please do this
elsewhere."

"This is why towpaths have a pedestrian priority and it is especially
important for those moving quickly (cyclists and joggers) to slow down
and take care going under bridges or in other places where the sight
line maybe poor."

And I'd say (round here anyway), most people do ... and there is
generally a friendly atmosphere between dog walkers (we have made many
acquaintances though this), cyclists and boaters alike.

We don't interface with many of the joggers as they seem to be in
their own little worlds with their headphones or earplugs in. It's
either music to relieve the monotony of what they are doing or
motivational stuff to try to minimise the monotony of what they are
doing. weg

A more recent appearance, typically on the paved bits of footpath
around the parks are scooters, both electric and manual (adults
especially). The electric ones did look like special fun [1] and
whilst might provide extra exercise for the dogs (but not in this
heat), wouldn't do much for us.

Walking is by far the best way to enjoy it all, from interacting with
the dogs (ours and others), to talking to passers by and boaters to
hearing the sounds, seeing the sights (nature reserves) and smelling
the smells. ;-)

I've recently had to make two more holes in my belt so that can't be a
bad thing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] We have actually had a fairly large (24V) electric scooter for
nearly 20 years now. Might be time to dig it out. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 13:50:14 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:
snip

usually wumin drivers I have found turn on their indicator and drive
into the side of you...I spend my life avoiding wummin drivers ..that is
why the statistics for wummin drivers are so good ....

Except they are ... that's why their insurance premiums were generally
lower than for men (of the same age / experience / history /
profession).

I say 'were' because the equality thing forced them to set them the
same levels as for men so if course they went up. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

usually wumin drivers I have found turn on their indicator and drive
into the side of you...I spend my life avoiding wummin drivers ..that is
why the statistics for wummin drivers are so good ....

Except they are ... that's why their insurance premiums were generally
lower than for men (of the same age / experience / history /
profession).

I say 'were' because the equality thing forced them to set them the
same levels as for men so if course they went up. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

ISTR the stastistics didn't support the claim that they had less accidents when comparing like for like
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

usually wumin drivers I have found turn on their indicator and drive
into the side of you...I spend my life avoiding wummin drivers ..that is
why the statistics for wummin drivers are so good ....

Except they are ... that's why their insurance premiums were generally
lower than for men (of the same age / experience / history /
profession).

I'll never believe that drivel ....

I say 'were' because the equality thing forced them to set them the
same levels as for men so if course they went up. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

feck they can't have their cake and eat it ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

I watched them one day and it seems that the kids are being
taught to turn right by simply sticking their right arm out
and without looking, swerve into the centre of the road. Awful.

I still do 'lifesavers' when driving. ;-)

fruit flavoured or mint?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

usually wumin drivers I have found turn on their indicator and drive
into the side of you...I spend my life avoiding wummin drivers ..that is
why the statistics for wummin drivers are so good ....

Except they are ... that's why their insurance premiums were generally
lower than for men (of the same age / experience / history /
profession).

I say 'were' because the equality thing forced them to set them the
same levels as for men so if course they went up. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

ISTR the stastistics didn't support the claim that they had less
accidents when comparing like for like

How about €śfewer€ť though? ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

I watched them one day and it seems that the kids are being
taught to turn right by simply sticking their right arm out
and without looking, swerve into the centre of the road. Awful.

I still do 'lifesavers' when driving. ;-)

fruit flavoured or mint?

tim

NOTA scrbble, scribble
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

usually wumin drivers I have found turn on their indicator and drive
into the side of you...I spend my life avoiding wummin drivers ..that is
why the statistics for wummin drivers are so good ....

Except they are ... that's why their insurance premiums were generally
lower than for men (of the same age / experience / history /
profession).

I say 'were' because the equality thing forced them to set them the
same levels as for men so if course they went up. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

ISTR the stastistics didn't support the claim that they had less
accidents when comparing like for like

How about €śfewer€ť though? ;-)

Tim

Of course, he could have meant lesser.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
If cyclists are approaching from behind we like (expect?) some form of
early warning (and if we get one we do as above) or if not, expect
the cyclist to slow down to whatever speed would be considered safe to
pass us and the dogs without issue.

I was once cycling on a disused railway which has been converted into a
footpath and cycle track. I could see a group walking across the whole width
of the track, with a dog on a lead. I slowed down as I approached them and
saw one of them look round, presumably at the ticking of the freewheel. They
then carried on without moving aside. So I dismounted, aiming to walk past
them and carry on. They got very shirty with me, and for a while wouldn't
move aside to let me *wheel* the bike past them. When they eventually moved
over, very reluctantly and with a "some people!" comment, I got past and
remounted, only to have the dog (which had been on a lead) nearly run into
the spokes of my front wheel: I can only assume they let it off deliberately
as a parting gesture.

I had a friend who took offence at cyclists using a cycle track, and berated
me for moving aside to let one coming in the opposite direction get past us,
even though he'd slowed right down. "You should have made it as difficult as
possible for him - pedestrians have right of way".

Those two incidents suggest that even when cyclists bend over backwards to
be pedestrian friendly, a small minority of pedestrians try to be
bloody-minded and awkward.

Of course a lot of cyclists *don't* slow down, so maybe they spoil it for
the minority who are well-behaved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 13:02, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 12:07:17 +0100 (GMT+01:00), "Graham."
wrote:

snip

[...]

Yes, when I used to cycle a lot more than I do these days, I often used
a couple of public footpaths that were both shortcuts and away from busy
roads. Now I knew bikes were prohibited, but I just pulled to one side
and stopped if a pedestrian came the other way or waited patiently until
a pedestrian going the same way did the same for me - no one ever
complained. A bit of polite cooperation goes a long way.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

usually wumin drivers I have found turn on their indicator and drive
into the side of you...I spend my life avoiding wummin drivers ..that is
why the statistics for wummin drivers are so good ....

Except they are ... that's why their insurance premiums were generally
lower than for men (of the same age / experience / history /
profession).

How good were those statistics though? In all the families and couples I
know the man tends to drive much further for work, drive at the busiest
times and during the night and do virtually all the driving when both of
them are in the car. If men and women were being genuinely compared on
like-for-like mileage, times, locations, etc. I'm sure the accident
figures would be much more the same.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

usually wumin drivers I have found turn on their indicator and drive
into the side of you...I spend my life avoiding wummin drivers ..that is
why the statistics for wummin drivers are so good ....

Except they are ... that's why their insurance premiums were generally
lower than for men (of the same age / experience / history /
profession).

How good were those statistics though? In all the families and couples I
know the man tends to drive much further for work, drive at the busiest
times and during the night and do virtually all the driving when both of
them are in the car. If men and women were being genuinely compared on
like-for-like mileage, times, locations, etc. I'm sure the accident
figures would be much more the same.

That is why on 5000 miles a year I get a discount

SteveW

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew laid this down on his screen :
I watched them one day and it seems that the kids are being
taught to turn right by simply sticking their right arm out
and without looking, swerve into the centre of the road. Awful.

We have schools around here and groups of young cyclists being taught
frequently - what I have seen has been quite good, well delivered and
with lots of care for their safety whilst being instructed.

Trouble is, they tend to forget all the were taught, weave back and
forth the width of the road, never look and try to out do one anther
doing wheelies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... explained :
wrote:

snip

I watched them one day and it seems that the kids are being
taught to turn right by simply sticking their right arm out
and without looking, swerve into the centre of the road. Awful.

I still do 'lifesavers' when driving. ;-)

As do I, especially joining roads from slip roads - mirrors have large
blind spots.

You cannot even be sure that you can see everything ahead of you.
Modern vehicles hide a lot of road space behind their A pillar. If
there could be any doubt about something hiding behind it, I lean well
forward to look around it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire used his keyboard to write :
The "instructor" had rested his silly bicycle against my garden wall. I went
outside and told him to get that ****ing thing of my wall.

So, young kids about and you used language like that - no surprise he
was open mouthed then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 21:56:58 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:
snip

And I'd say (round here anyway), most people do ... and there is
generally a friendly atmosphere between dog walkers (we have made many
acquaintances though this), cyclists and boaters alike.

Yes, when I used to cycle a lot more than I do these days, I often used
a couple of public footpaths that were both shortcuts and away from busy
roads. Now I knew bikes were prohibited, but I just pulled to one side
and stopped if a pedestrian came the other way or waited patiently until
a pedestrian going the same way did the same for me - no one ever
complained. A bit of polite cooperation goes a long way.

The Canal Trust website talks of the old ways of 'Doffing your hat'
and the like as a greeting / acknowledgement of others as you pass and
I think that would now be a 'Mornin', Alright', or 'Warm/Cold isn't
it'.

It's nice to see the face of someone break into a smile as you catch
their eye and greet them ... something much more common in many other
counties I'm told.

A mate from Italy thought it very strange that the train we were on
had a near silent carriage.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 23:14:10 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

tim... explained :
wrote:

snip

I watched them one day and it seems that the kids are being
taught to turn right by simply sticking their right arm out
and without looking, swerve into the centre of the road. Awful.

I still do 'lifesavers' when driving. ;-)

As do I, especially joining roads from slip roads - mirrors have large
blind spots.

Yup. I also look (glance) over my left shoulder when exiting a
roundabout from the lane nearest the centre and crossing over to the
left hand lane (mainly because so many people try to undertake etc).

You cannot even be sure that you can see everything ahead of you.
Modern vehicles hide a lot of road space behind their A pillar.

Big time with our Meriva A.

If
there could be any doubt about something hiding behind it, I lean well
forward to look around it.

I tend to look (glance) out of the side window as I sit as far back as
the seat will allow (in everything). ;-)

It is surprising just how much can be hidden behind them. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

usually wumin drivers I have found turn on their indicator and drive
into the side of you...I spend my life avoiding wummin drivers ..that is
why the statistics for wummin drivers are so good ....

Except they are ... that's why their insurance premiums were generally
lower than for men (of the same age / experience / history /
profession).

How good were those statistics though?

Considering these people make a living from not seeming to carry any
risk themselves [1], pretty good?

In all the families and couples I
know the man tends to drive much further for work, drive at the busiest
times and during the night and do virtually all the driving when both of
them are in the car.

As it is here.

If men and women were being genuinely compared on
like-for-like mileage, times, locations, etc. I'm sure the accident
figures would be much more the same.

But as mentioned elsewhere, with insurance Co's it also comes down to
the cost (to them) of the loss and the suggestion is that women's
accidents are generally lighter and so cheaper (they don't think they
are racing drivers and more likely to scrape your car than write it
off). shrug

Cheers, T i m

[1] Our car was written of by a hit-and-run (slow articulated truck)
when parked at night and we were asleep in bed. Because we were fully
Comp they paid up, but it went down as a 'blame claim' because there
wasn't another part to claim against? Why should we have to carry any
blame? I didn't claim off them the years I wasn't involved in an
accident (Increased NCB isn't a claim). ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 19:50:48 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

How bizarre!

I had a friend who took offence at cyclists using a cycle track, and berated
me for moving aside to let one coming in the opposite direction get past us,
even though he'd slowed right down. "You should have made it as difficult as
possible for him - pedestrians have right of way".

And again!

Those two incidents suggest that even when cyclists bend over backwards to
be pedestrian friendly, a small minority of pedestrians try to be
bloody-minded and awkward.

Agreed. The only real time we have encountered that was when cycling
along the towpath on the Tandem (with trailer). 3 girls were walking
towards us along a fairly narrow bit with no options either side
(river / brambles), side-by-side and the 'norm' would be for them to
go into single file as we slowed or even stopped as we passed each
other.

They showed no sign of moving and eventually we stopped in front of
them and they basically walked into / past us? FWIW I think there were
'foreign so maybe the rules were different where they came from?

Of course a lot of cyclists *don't* slow down, so maybe they spoil it for
the minority who are well-behaved.

Yup, I'm sure that's the case, although round here it's probably the
minority who don't behave.

Another annoying thing is kids cycling though a pedestrianised
shopping area on a bike that has obviously got one wheel too many for
them (the front one)? ;-(

I probably really couldn't stop myself laughing if I saw one faceplant
(as long as he did it on his own etc). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Andrew laid this down on his screen :
I watched them one day and it seems that the kids are being
taught to turn right by simply sticking their right arm out
and without looking, swerve into the centre of the road. Awful.

We have schools around here and groups of young cyclists being taught
frequently - what I have seen has been quite good, well delivered and with
lots of care for their safety whilst being instructed.

Trouble is, they tend to forget all the were taught, weave back and forth
the width of the road, never look and try to out do one anther doing
wheelies.

And the worst of ours think nothing of riding their bikes on the wrong
side of the road, against the traffic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 12:44:14 +1000, Jack98, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote

Trouble is, they tend to forget all the were taught, weave back and forth
the width of the road, never look and try to out do one anther doing
wheelies.

And the worst of ours think nothing of riding their bikes on the wrong
side of the road, against the traffic.

You'd rather worry what everyone thinks of YOU, you clinically insane senile
pest!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 23:05, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Trouble is, they tend to forget all the were taught, weave back and
forth the width of the road, never look and try to out do one anther
doing wheelies.

The thing worse than school run mums is kids in the vicinity of schools
at the same time on bicycles where they have priority rights both on the
pavement and when transitioning at speed to the road from in between a
line of parked cars.

The only way they are going to learn is to remove the 20mph speed limits
around schools.