Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving a consumer unit - a couple of questions

On 08/07/2019 17:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/07/2019 09:22, Chris Green wrote:
Our house consumer unit is currently on a stud wall in the downstairs
loo, we are planning to extend the loo into the adjacent utility room
to make a shower room.Â* Thus the consumer unit needs to move, it can't
be in a shower room and the wall it's mounted on is going anyway.

I replaced the original consumer unit with the one that now needs
moving so I'm not too worried about the basics of what's needed but I
do have a couple of questions:-

Â*Â*Â*Â* Some (quite a few) wires will need extending, I have suitable
Â*Â*Â*Â* crimps and crimp tool but what protection do the resulting joints
Â*Â*Â*Â* need?Â* All the existing cabling is T&E laying between joists etc.
Â*Â*Â*Â* but presumably crimped joints would need forther protection.Â* Is
Â*Â*Â*Â* heatshrink enough or do they need to go in boxes of some sort or
Â*Â*Â*Â* conduit?

Heat shrink is ok, although if doing lots in one place, a box of some
form might be easier.

Â*Â*Â*Â* I *guess* this may be Part P'able, I'm not too concerned if it is
Â*Â*Â*Â* or not to be quite honest but it would be nice to know as there
Â*Â*Â*Â* will be building inspectors around for other work that is going
Â*Â*Â*Â* on.

Yup consumer unit change would be notifiable.

Purely out of interest, would moving the unit and extending the cables
to it, but not changing the unit be notifiable?

Part P mentions new circuits or changing the unit as notifiable, but
exempts extending circuits - although that was probably never intended
to apply to the consumer unit end.

SteveW