Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving a consumer unit - a couple of questions

Our house consumer unit is currently on a stud wall in the downstairs
loo, we are planning to extend the loo into the adjacent utility room
to make a shower room. Thus the consumer unit needs to move, it can't
be in a shower room and the wall it's mounted on is going anyway.

I replaced the original consumer unit with the one that now needs
moving so I'm not too worried about the basics of what's needed but I
do have a couple of questions:-

Some (quite a few) wires will need extending, I have suitable
crimps and crimp tool but what protection do the resulting joints
need? All the existing cabling is T&E laying between joists etc.
but presumably crimped joints would need forther protection. Is
heatshrink enough or do they need to go in boxes of some sort or
conduit?

I *guess* this may be Part P'able, I'm not too concerned if it is
or not to be quite honest but it would be nice to know as there
will be building inspectors around for other work that is going
on.

I'll be buying a new 18th edition all RCBO consumer unit, any
recommendations for good, easy to wire ones?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The consumer all rcbo unit I have is a curve M18 unit from denmans electrical.

It's replacement will be an all metal enclosure as mine was fitted before the consumer unit regulation amendments came into force.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/07/2019 09:22, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

How do the incoming tails run?

BTW it is part P notifiable but who cares?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
[...]

I'm not absolutely sure yet, I'm hoping I can move it somewhere that
won't need the incomer to be extended. They come underground across
the drive and, I assume, up a service duct that also holds a downpipe.
I'll need to have a look inside the boxing in to see what's what.

BTW it is part P notifiable but who cares?

Yes, my feelings exactly, I'll just have to keep the building
inspector's eyes averted.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 July 2019 15:03:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
BTW it is part P notifiable but who cares?

Yes, my feelings exactly, I'll just have to keep the building
inspector's eyes averted.

If you've got other notifiable work just add in "new consumer unit" in 4 pt Comic Sans somewhere on the plans and it'll be covered :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 July 2019 09:33:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

A friend is in the process of buying a house. One of the issues that came up on the survey was the consumer unit being in a shower room. Not just a room with a shower but a full wet room.

Luckily for him, he actually wants to change it into his "home office". (It is the only bath or shower in the house but it is on the ground floor. Very odd idea.) So he won't have to do anything about moving it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2019 09:22, Chris Green wrote:
Our house consumer unit is currently on a stud wall in the downstairs
loo, we are planning to extend the loo into the adjacent utility room
to make a shower room. Thus the consumer unit needs to move, it can't
be in a shower room and the wall it's mounted on is going anyway.

I replaced the original consumer unit with the one that now needs
moving so I'm not too worried about the basics of what's needed but I
do have a couple of questions:-

Some (quite a few) wires will need extending, I have suitable
crimps and crimp tool but what protection do the resulting joints
need? All the existing cabling is T&E laying between joists etc.
but presumably crimped joints would need forther protection. Is
heatshrink enough or do they need to go in boxes of some sort or
conduit?

Heat shrink is ok, although if doing lots in one place, a box of some
form might be easier.

I *guess* this may be Part P'able, I'm not too concerned if it is
or not to be quite honest but it would be nice to know as there
will be building inspectors around for other work that is going
on.

Yup consumer unit change would be notifiable.

I'll be buying a new 18th edition all RCBO consumer unit, any
recommendations for good, easy to wire ones?

Hager are usually ok - not too pricey and good range of modules
available. However it might just be a case what's got the best special
offer on it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 17:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/07/2019 09:22, Chris Green wrote:
Our house consumer unit is currently on a stud wall in the downstairs
loo, we are planning to extend the loo into the adjacent utility room
to make a shower room.Â* Thus the consumer unit needs to move, it can't
be in a shower room and the wall it's mounted on is going anyway.

I replaced the original consumer unit with the one that now needs
moving so I'm not too worried about the basics of what's needed but I
do have a couple of questions:-

Â*Â*Â*Â* Some (quite a few) wires will need extending, I have suitable
Â*Â*Â*Â* crimps and crimp tool but what protection do the resulting joints
Â*Â*Â*Â* need?Â* All the existing cabling is T&E laying between joists etc.
Â*Â*Â*Â* but presumably crimped joints would need forther protection.Â* Is
Â*Â*Â*Â* heatshrink enough or do they need to go in boxes of some sort or
Â*Â*Â*Â* conduit?

Heat shrink is ok, although if doing lots in one place, a box of some
form might be easier.

Â*Â*Â*Â* I *guess* this may be Part P'able, I'm not too concerned if it is
Â*Â*Â*Â* or not to be quite honest but it would be nice to know as there
Â*Â*Â*Â* will be building inspectors around for other work that is going
Â*Â*Â*Â* on.

Yup consumer unit change would be notifiable.

Purely out of interest, would moving the unit and extending the cables
to it, but not changing the unit be notifiable?

Part P mentions new circuits or changing the unit as notifiable, but
exempts extending circuits - although that was probably never intended
to apply to the consumer unit end.

SteveW