Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Magic Indicator

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:18:54 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

snip

(Declaration of interest: when my knees used to work I used to be a keen
cyclist (some correlation there maybe? - Ed) but us keen cyclists never
had the time of day for the mad cyclists)

And isn't this the same for nearly every 'group' or small percentage
of the population (members of groups or otherwise)?

We regularly walk our dogs along the towpath and so meet many cyclists
of all types. If they are coming towards us we would generally call
our dogs over and stand aside, even though pedestrians have right of
way on the towpath. We do so because we are just out for a walk and
should keep our dogs 'under control', we don't want our dogs to get in
the way of them or possibly hurt by them in an accident.

If cyclists are approaching from behind we like (expect?) some form of
early warning (and if we get one we do as above) or if not, expect
the cyclist to slow down to whatever speed would be considered safe to
pass us and the dogs without issue.

In the main this is how it works, especially amongst the 'ordinary'
(recreational, hire bike, family group, older) cyclists, just leaving
the Licra racers to spoil it (for everone).

When motorcycling, we do so no differently to when we are walking,
cycling or driving and have only been become inconvenienced once when
arriving at a campsite and seeing a hand made sign that said 'No
Motorcycles'. Had we gone home and got in the car we would have been
allowed in so it wasn't us they had issue with but our chosen form of
transport?

So, the chances are they had a group of motorcyclists where they or
the volume of their bike exhausts caused issues so all motorbike
riders then suffer. We went round to another campsite and asked if
they accepted motorcycles and they said 'Yes, why?' I explained and
they replied 'We give anyone a chance and if they become a nuisance we
throw them off, be they hiking on in a Motorhome'.

A minority of fishermen leave litter, a minority of car drivers drive
like nutters, a minority of football fans are hooligans and a minority
of posters use the d-i-y newsgroup as their personal political soapbox
etc etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m