Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 15:26:55 +1000, Levi Jones wrote:

Don't even think about fighting the fire.

Don't agree with that last with a fat fire in the kitchen or when you
**** up some diy or when an appliance catches fire with you reasonably
close to it. Plenty of small fires like that are very easy to deal with
and doing that produces a hell of a lot less damage to deal with.

True enough. I was thinking more of the scenario were the smoke
alarms wake you up in the wee small hours. The fire by that time is
very likely to be too far advanced to be succesfully fought by some
one in their PJs and no BA set.

Corse you do need to have enough of a clue to know what can be dealt
with and what is better not to try.

Aye.

Most unusual fat fire I started to tackle was in a pub kitchen where the
thermostats* on a small counter top deep fryer failed in the on position.
, so we isolated it from the consumer unit and then smothered with a
blanket while others cleared the customers and called the fire
brigade.Despite the blanket flames still crept ominously around the edges
threatening to set fire to surrounding items. As the beers cellar was next
door to the kitchen we were able to take the spare Co2 cylinders and by
just cracking the valve were able to waft Co2 over which killed them.
A water extinguisher would obviously be a no no and a normal Co2
extinguisher if one had been available isnt a good idea as the blast can
be too powerful and blow the burning the fat out.

Brigade arrived about 12 mins later , assessed the situation and added
another larger fire blanket.
Then a fireman wearing protective clothing and built like a brick ****
house picked up the fryer and carried it out the door of the kitchen that
lead to the pub garden and placed it on the ground.

Once he was clear two of his Colleagues hit it full whack with a normal
fire hose which distributed the burning oil with the expected fire ball
result, the flames soon subsided though due to the cooling effect and the
only casualties were some Dahlias.

Someone asked the Fireman about using the water and got the answer €śWe
know what we are a doing,
dont do it inside and dont even think about doing it at home.

* I assuming it had two like a good one should but never got around to
finding out,perhaps that only applies to the larger fixed in ones.

GH