Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
... and at the very least turn the gas/electricity off that is heating
the pan.

That's always assuming you can get that close. TBH I don't how big
the flames can get from a chip pan with a good source of heat going
into it can get. I've only seen the small gentle flame just after
flash over in the Public Infomation Films before the fire
blanket/damp tea towel is deployed or just before the dramtic
demonstration of adding water... Left on a highish heat for a minute
or two after flash over I can imagine it will be getting a bit more
hostile.

I was thinking more of closing the shut-off valve at the gas meter - which
is outside the front door which would be one of the escape routes, though
admittedly the back door is probably closer - and that's got the main "fuse
box" just inside the doorway. I might still try going round the outside of
the house to the gas meter to turn it off.

On the other hand, if there was a smell of unburnt gas in the house when I
woke up, I'd leg it to the bottom of the garden and call from the I've
seen what a gas explosion can do to a house, when one exploded on the
outskirts of York a few years ago :-( The main thing to remember if you
smell gas is to resist the urge to turn on a light to help you find your way
out. Apparently fire alarms in buildings were often not sounded in the case
of a gas leak, for fear of igniting the gas - some other means has to be
found of telling everyone to evacuate the building. That may have change
with modern Yodalarm fire alarms which are probably fire-safe and don't use
a vibrating arm to strike a bell, which creates a spark every time the bell
arm breaks the contact.