Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 11:29:02 +0100, wrote:

I guess it would take 30+ minutes for the fire brigade to get here; no
neighbours near enough to help.

And thinking about it our nearest neighbours, 1/4 mile away, could
take longer than the retained pump to arrive, especially in the wee
small hours of the morning.

This has to work for family and friends, and when we're older - I don't
think "dangle and drop" is an option.

But as a last resort as the door starts to leak too much smoke and
fumes or the same coming up through the floorboards...

Reading the thread, working, linked, smoke/rate of rise/temperature
alarms to give you early warning is probably the best bet. Coupled
withgood buildings and contents insurance.

As the fire and rescue service say "Get out, Stay out, Get us Out".

Yep..

Corded landline on your route out that you can grab as you pass with
enough cable to be used from outside is a good idea.

Thats a bit difficult fir most I'd take the mobile.

Don't even think about fighting the fire.

I managed it once had it out before the brigade got there.

Just broke a small window from outside and had a decent hose pipe to
hand.

It was one that put out a decent large spray for the smoke in the upper
part of the room where gases that do flashover get to.

firemen seemed impressed.

--
Tony Sayer