Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

On 05/07/2019 09:06, wrote:
As part of the re-furb we're starting to think about how to escape a
fire if the staircase is impassable. We plan to stay here until age and
decrepitude means we have to move, so the system needs to be usable by a
wide age range. There seem to be escape ladders or rope descenders (is
there anything else, apart from greasy poles?) but I can't imagine using
a rope ladder when old, and a rope descender either needs a return
mechanism or a descender and harness for each person.

What does the team think? Has anyone here been through the same process
and come up with a smart solution?

Smoke alarms, heat alarms should give you plenty of time to get out the
doors.

Don't forget that firemen search wardrobes for kids that hid from a fire
and behind doors for adults that didn't remember the keys to open the door.