Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 09:06:44 +0100, wrote:

As part of the re-furb we're starting to think about how to escape a
fire if the staircase is impassable. We plan to stay here until age and
decrepitude means we have to move, so the system needs to be usable by a
wide age range. There seem to be escape ladders or rope descenders (is
there anything else, apart from greasy poles?) but I can't imagine using
a rope ladder when old, and a rope descender either needs a return
mechanism or a descender and harness for each person.

What does the team think? Has anyone here been through the same process
and come up with a smart solution?

The aim is to get out (and stay out). Forget ropes. ladders
parachutes and rocket packs etc. The safest way to get out is by a
using a familiar direct obstacle free and illuminated route.

As others have said the immediate danger is fumes, not flames.

Fit linked smoke alarms (so if one goes off they all do), temperature
triggered in the kitchen, optical in the living room and hall and (the
most important one) on the ceiling of the first floor above the
stairs.

These will trigger before a fire has a chance to develop and give you
several minutes at least to get out.

Don't use high power devices like dishwashers, tumble dryers or
washing machines overnight. If any occupants smoke stop them.

For the front and back doors make sure you can open them from inside
without having to use a key. If you are a bit paranoid fit a very low
power LED bulb (5W is more than enough) in a light fitting and turn
it on at night so that you always have light at the foot of the
stairs.

Make sure you have a simple hard wired telephone extension (not one
that requires power) in the hall by the front door. Put it on a long
enough lead so you can use it from the door position or just outside.
Do not rely on a DECT (cordless) phone as it stops working if power
fails.

Have a drill so each night you check fires are off in the lounge,
cooker and hob are off, close the kitchen, dining room and lounge
doors so no downstairs room has open access to the hall and stairs.
Switch on the hall light.

If a smoke alarm sounds, get out and call the fire service from the
hall extension by the front door if safe to do so. (a wired phone is
always better than a mobile as it shows your location to the fire
service operator). Don't try to go back in.