Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Best files for aluminium, best ways to clean them and avoid clogging

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 08:50:36 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"les24preludes" wrote in message
I'll be working on some aluminium rod for razor handles, so looking at
purchasing some files that I can keep clean for this. I'm thinking first
cut, but open to ideas. Dreadnaught may be too coarse since the parts are
85x16mm but could be a starter file. Ideas?.

They make special files for soft metals.
Also, get some chalk and rub it into the teeth.
It keeps the aluminum from sticking.

Paul K. Dickman

Paul, I don't know what current thinking is, but when I was writing
about it, 40 years ago, a file expert from one of the big file
companies told me "chalk for steel and bronze, chalk or oil for soft
brass, and oil for aluminum."

The reason NOT to use oil on hard metals it that it can cause the file
to skate, which will quickly ruin it.

I use oil for aluminum. Otherwise, chalk.

--
Ed Huntress