Old July 5th 19, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best files for aluminium, best ways to clean them and avoid clogging

I'll be working on some aluminium rod for razor handles, so looking at purchasing some files that I can keep clean for this. I'm thinking first cut, but open to ideas. Dreadnaught may be too coarse since the parts are 85x16mm but could be a starter file. Ideas?

Old July 5th 19, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, July 5, 2019 at 5:54:31 AM UTC-4, les24preludes wrote:
I'll be working on some aluminium rod for razor handles, so looking at purchasing some files that I can keep clean for this. I'm thinking first cut, but open to ideas. Dreadnaught may be too coarse since the parts are 85x16mm but could be a starter file. Ideas?

There are at least two files made for filing aluminum. One is a Type A file. I do not know what the other type is called. The type A is better for filing small things as the other type has a very course pattern. I would look in McMaster Carr or MSC catalogs. Can not help you on places as I got most of my files at Boeing Surplus years ago.

Dan
Old July 5th 19, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"les24preludes" wrote in message
I'll be working on some aluminium rod for razor handles, so looking at
purchasing some files that I can keep clean for this. I'm thinking first
cut, but open to ideas. Dreadnaught may be too coarse since the parts are
85x16mm but could be a starter file. Ideas?.

They make special files for soft metals.
Also, get some chalk and rub it into the teeth.
It keeps the aluminum from sticking.

Paul K. Dickman

Old July 5th 19, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 08:50:36 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

"les24preludes" wrote in message
I'll be working on some aluminium rod for razor handles, so looking at
purchasing some files that I can keep clean for this. I'm thinking first
cut, but open to ideas. Dreadnaught may be too coarse since the parts are
85x16mm but could be a starter file. Ideas?.

They make special files for soft metals.
Also, get some chalk and rub it into the teeth.
It keeps the aluminum from sticking.

Paul K. Dickman

Paul, I don't know what current thinking is, but when I was writing
about it, 40 years ago, a file expert from one of the big file
companies told me "chalk for steel and bronze, chalk or oil for soft
brass, and oil for aluminum."

The reason NOT to use oil on hard metals it that it can cause the file
to skate, which will quickly ruin it.

I use oil for aluminum. Otherwise, chalk.

--
Ed Huntress
Old July 5th 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Fil.../dp/B001KVM2H2

Old July 5th 19, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the tips. I've ordered a file card for starters, and four different files - first cut, dreadnaught, *******, millenicut. Getting myself ready!
Old July 5th 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/07/2019 18:38, les24preludes wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I've ordered a file card for starters, and four different files - first cut, dreadnaught, *******, millenicut. Getting myself ready!

The best method of cleaning a file I was taught was to use a small piece
of brass sheet maybe 1/2" to 3/4" wide and around 18swg - 16swg and long
enough to grip, 2" or so, and push it into the teeth at about 45 degrees
and push it parallel to the teeth and it will clean the file far better
than a file card in my experience. By pushing the brass down on to the
teeth it is soft enough to form little teeth which shifts any debris
stuck between the teeth.

My favourite file for finishing work is a mill saw file as they seem to
give a better finish as they don't have the little nicks along the teeth.

Old July 5th 19, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 10:38:25 -0700 (PDT), les24preludes
wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I've ordered a file card for starters, and four different files - first cut, dreadnaught, *******, millenicut. Getting myself ready!

File cards are usually bad for files. This is because the wires are
usually hard and will tend to dull the file teeth. A better solution
is to keep the file clean in the first place. Using a light oil on the
file is good for filing aluminum. And after a few strokes, especially
when the file is new and sharp, wipe the file clean on a piece of lint
free cloth. Denim works well. Wipe the file in the direction parallel
to the teeth. This means that if you were to be standing up and wanted
to wipe the file against your jeans and on your thigh the file would
be pointed down almost vertically. The file would then be wiped almost
horizontally. This wiping action pushes the chips along the length of
the grooves and out. When you do get stubborn chips loading up the
file use a piece of 1/2 hard brass to push them out of the grooves.
This can be done by setting the file on edge on a bench and then a
brass rod is pushed along the file grooves toward the bench. The brass
will be soft enough to be cut easily by the teeth so that it can reach
the bottom of the groove while at the same time hard enough that it
will hold its shape a while. When it stops working just file the end
of the brass rod flat and start over.
Eric
Old July 5th 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The brass will be soft enough to be cut easily by the teeth so that it can reach
the bottom of the groove while at the same time hard enough that it
will hold its shape a while. When it stops working just file the end
of the brass rod flat and start over.
Eric

Does this cleaning process work with copper as well as brass?
Old July 5th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/5/2019 3:39 PM, les24preludes wrote:
The brass will be soft enough to be cut easily by the teeth so that it can reach
the bottom of the groove while at the same time hard enough that it
will hold its shape a while. When it stops working just file the end
of the brass rod flat and start over.
Eric

Does this cleaning process work with copper as well as brass?

* Yes , and it also works with a piece of aluminum . Any metal soft
enough to be cut so it fits the tooth profile - All my files are
discards from the countertop shop . It takes a very sharp file to cut
plastic laminates (formica) cleanly . They still do a good job on
aluminum and adequate on steel . Oh , and as someone else said , don't
use a file card , it'll dull your file faster than anything .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old