Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

In article , Marland
On 05/07/2019 10:10, wrote:
On Friday, 5 July 2019 09:06:48 UTC+1, wrote:
As part of the re-furb we're starting to think about how to escape a
fire if the staircase is impassable.

Smoke alarms should get you out before that stage, but you could also
consider sprinklers over the escape route.

Smoke alarms are fitted but it's not big enough to justify sprinklers.

Has anyone here been through the same process and come up with a
smart solution?

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/external-fire-escapes/

Fixed and rigid ladders, so not dangly like rope/chain ladders. Also
you step out sideways from the window rather than clambering over the
sill.

Thanks, I hadn't seen those and they look interesting.

Owain

Any solution apart from an easy to use fire escape such as an external
stairway from a very easy and quick to open window or door is likely to
take longer to use rather than quick evacuation when alerted by a smoke
alarm assuming you are living in a relatively normal domestic dwelling
and not the sole residents of a decaying Manor House or hotel. Most
people who die in domestic fires do so from the smoke rather than heat
and its effects.You should be familiar with the layout of your home,
practise getting from the various rooms to outside in the dark and be
able to use find and use any keys that you may secure your external
locks with . The time taken to use some unusual solution like a hose kept
in the bathroom by the time you have got it out of the cupboard turned on
the supply would be longer than just legging it. Remember that clearer
air is often available nearer the floor if things have got really bad .
A sensibly placed water extinguisher if it can be grabbed while passing
may help and be easier to activate than a hose providing you know how to
use it ,but use it to aid your evacuation not to fight the fire . That is
the job of the fire brigade who have the means to do it , of course if
you are some distance from a manned station they may not be in time but
the first priority is to get yourselves out, if then if you want to
attempt to fight the fire then a proper powerful hose reel mounted
outside would help in that ,again if you feel you have the knowledge to
risk it, remember things like mixing water and electricity can cause
their own dangers . Probably not worth risk you live in suburbia but
possibly worth doing have if you live in a remote cottage.

It is a pity that not many people get the chance to do even a basic fire
fighting course, I‘ve done a couple aimed at marine situations where as
no fire brigade is usually close at all you have to deal with it,that
doesn‘t apply to most house fires but how to use an extinguisher and what
type and when should be taught in schools as a life skill.

I went on a couple of courses at work and once had the 'great fun' of
setting off an extinguisher (CO2) in anger. But, the basic safety advice
is "Get out" and leave it to the professionals to deal with.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England