Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MK Essentials

On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 02:19:55 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Thursday, 4 July 2019 21:55:33 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a
brand is what it used to be.

Honeywell, I think ...

They're not what they used to be either.

The first mainframe I saw was a Honeywell

I've only ever seen one actual Honeywell machine, and it was a 16 bit one
(the same sort they used for TIPs on the ARPAnet).

Many years ago, I did a project where I modified the CPU on that machine;
this involved new boards and wire wrapping, and it modified the
instruction set a little bit.

Recently, I wanted to handle a control panel from such a machine (long
story) and measure stuff. The Science Museum had one, and after long
negotiation I was allowed access.

The conservator was *very* surprised when I first handled it, as I said:
"This is the first time I've touched this in 44 years".

Yes, my research had shown that it was the ACTUAL SAME ONE!

Longer story he

http://www.bobeager.uk/anecdotes.html#CPUhack