Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MK Essentials

First there was Tesco Value ... then Asda Smartprice ... now

Low prices shouldn't mean low quality. The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets, but with the reliabillity [sic] and performance you'd expect from MK.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...ssentials.aspx

Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand stuff on ebay.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets

pretty ugly ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
First there was Tesco Value ... then Asda Smartprice ... now

Low prices shouldn't mean low quality. The MK Essentials range is perfect
for smaller budgets, but with the reliabillity [sic] and performance you'd
expect from MK.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...ssentials.aspx

Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand
stuff on ebay.

Owain

is nothing sacred in this world.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 July 2019 09:22:54 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand
stuff on ebay.

is nothing sacred in this world.......

Guangdong Lonon Electric Appliance Co.,Ltd is one of the market leaders in wiring devices, lighting industry in China and has been providing high quality electric products, lighting and ventilation products to the users. Lonon is in the process of excellent brand name image in China and has been awarded with many honorable titles and appraisals, such as "Chinese famous trademark", "National Inspection-free Products", "Guangdong famous trademark" and "Guangdong products with famous brand name" etc.

Honeywell Lonon Electrical Systems Technology(Guangdong) Co.,Ltd.,established in January, 2008 as a new joint venture comany between Honeywell International Inc. and Guangdong Lonon Electric Appliance Co.,Ltd., which are endeavoring for the wiring devices,lighting products and system solutions which are more safety, more confortable and more energy saving for the world. The company locates in Xiaolan Town, Zhongshan of Guangdong Province; occupies 100 thousand square meters and has more than 1800 employees currently.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Abo...ges/Lonon.aspx

They could at least employ an English-speaking copy-editor.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message

The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets

pretty ugly ...

personally

I like the styling

(making no comment on the quality)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 09:27, wrote:
[...]

I thought you were taking the **** until I came to the link.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 July 2019 09:21:24 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets

pretty ugly ...

But with four 2-way switches in a single gang faceplate it saves money on a double back box too!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
On 04/07/2019 09:27, wrote:
[...]

me too I couldn't find any golden hedgehog gear on ebait ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

Ashley will go next....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But with four 2-way switches in a single gang faceplate it saves money on a double back box too!

Owain

With a massive saving of 21p at Screwfix but a mare of a job trying to squeeze all the wires into it not to mention the satisfaction your customer is going to get trying to switch one of four closely spaced switches especially for someone visually impaired.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 12:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

The widespread dissemination of knowledge and knowhow
via the Internet bodes ill for countries such as Brit and
Yank which have relied on dominating the world with
their industries.

Now, anyone can have a go at whatever takes their fancy.

As far as Brit goes, old industries such as ship-building
and Tin mining are performed better in the Far East already.

A case in point is the embargo in both countries on
the Huawei communications technology which could be
more advanced spying-wise than anything the CIA or
GCHQ have.

Much of the world's semiconductor industry is already
in proto-China, AKA Taiwan. The current democracy
crack-down in Hong Kong does not bode well for Taiwan.

Were China to take over Taiwan, neither Brit nor Yank
would respond with anything more aggressive than a
paper tiger, and both would stand aside just as they
have done with Tibet. No longer does the Dalai Lama
reign supreme from the Potala Palace.

/WAFFLE MODE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer" wrote
in message ...
[...]

we are all doomed....doomed doomed I tell yee ..............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a brand is
what it used to be.
I mean the early affordable DVD players were branded Warfdale. The early
dolby cassette decks were branded Bell and Howell. Nobody for a second
thought these were the makers. They were brand engineered.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets

pretty ugly ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 July 2019 12:19:11 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
me too I couldn't find any golden hedgehog gear on ebait ....

Lucky Golden Hedgehog is the uk.d-i-y nomenclature for Chinese no-brand stuff. I don't know who first used the term but it goes back at least to 2002:

Andy Dingley 12/02/2002
I bought a Lucky Golden Hedgehog from a big B&Q Warehouse, which seems
to be the same as the Clarke et al. with the stainless top. Seems
like a good piece of kit; leaves a nice cut, shows no signs of wear,
shows no sign of breaking.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:

[...]

Look on the bright side, a cheap Chinese MK socket is the perfect
partner for your Whirlpool dryer and Beco fridge.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Bull****. They arent silly enough to be part of china again.

Were China to take over Taiwan,

Taint even possible. They dont have the capability to do that.

neither Brit nor Yank would respond with anything more aggressive than a
paper tiger,

Bull**** with the USA,

and both would stand aside just as they have done with Tibet.

More bull****.

No longer does the Dalai Lama reign supreme from the Potala Palace.

But Taiwan still does fine.

/WAFFLE MODE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 4 July 2019 09:21:24 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets

pretty ugly ...

But with four 2-way switches in a single gang faceplate it saves money
on a double back box too!

And makes sure you hit the wrong one every time. ;-)

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

Keep on believing it, Jim. Once out of the EU, the UK can again take its
rightful place as the world's leading manufacturer. Lead by that ace
engineer, Boris.

--
*You sound reasonable......time to up my medication

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: Senile Rodent Speed out of Bed and Trolling at 00:11 am in Australia, AGAIN! LMAO!

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 00:11:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

00:11 am in Australia? And, no, you haven't been UP that long, you GOT OUT
OF BED already, just to continue you with your idiotic trolling without too
long a break! VBG

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

everything made in china is just junk

including your iPhone?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... brought next idea :
everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

They turn out both top quality stuff, including quite a lot for the
worlds big names, as well as some absolute tat. Just as we once used
to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a brand is
what it used to be.

Honeywell, I think ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 July 2019 21:55:33 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a brand is
what it used to be.

Honeywell, I think ...

They're not what they used to be either.

The first mainframe I saw was a Honeywell

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 02:19:55 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Thursday, 4 July 2019 21:55:33 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a
brand is what it used to be.

Honeywell, I think ...

They're not what they used to be either.

The first mainframe I saw was a Honeywell

I've only ever seen one actual Honeywell machine, and it was a 16 bit one
(the same sort they used for TIPs on the ARPAnet).

Many years ago, I did a project where I modified the CPU on that machine;
this involved new boards and wire wrapping, and it modified the
instruction set a little bit.

Recently, I wanted to handle a control panel from such a machine (long
story) and measure stuff. The Science Museum had one, and after long
negotiation I was allowed access.

The conservator was *very* surprised when I first handled it, as I said:
"This is the first time I've touched this in 44 years".

Yes, my research had shown that it was the ACTUAL SAME ONE!

Longer story he

http://www.bobeager.uk/anecdotes.html#CPUhack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, 4 July 2019 21:55:33 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a brand
is
what it used to be.

Honeywell, I think ...

They're not what they used to be either.

The first mainframe I saw was a Honeywell

the first mainframe I saw was a LEO

And I'm not that old

:-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
First there was Tesco Value ... then Asda Smartprice ... now

Low prices shouldn't mean low quality. The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets, but with the reliabillity [sic] and performance you'd expect from MK.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...ssentials.aspx

Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand stuff on ebay.

Hideous. ;-) For best value, the BG range from TLC takes some beating,
Plain simple design too.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
First there was Tesco Value ... then Asda Smartprice ... now

Low prices shouldn't mean low quality. The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets, but with the reliabillity [sic] and performance you'd expect from MK.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...ssentials.aspx

Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand stuff on ebay.

Hideous. ;-) For best value, the BG range from TLC takes some beating,
Plain simple design too.

When we bought this house in 1976 and rewired throughout, MK was the
brand leader and was what we used. ISTR that the total price for
everything came to about £108. I suspect with successive governments
reducing £1 to be only worth 1 shilling it'd be a lot more than that now!

We made the effort to put loadsa extra 13 amp sockets in every room
but still we have not enough!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 July 2019 12:00:53 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
The first mainframe I saw was a Honeywell

The conservator was *very* surprised when I first handled it, as I said:
"This is the first time I've touched this in 44 years".
Yes, my research had shown that it was the ACTUAL SAME ONE!

It's the 21st century equivalent of old ladies reminiscing about mangles in dementia therapy.

the one I saw was at Aber Uni on an educational visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AberMUD

The tech pulled out one of the boards and showed us where a resistor (or transistor?) had failed causing something important to be aborted by NASA (?) before the uni got the computer pre-loved.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/07/2019 12:29, Tricky Dicky wrote:
But with four 2-way switches in a single gang faceplate it saves money on a double back box too!

Owain

With a massive saving of 21p at Screwfix but a mare of a job trying to squeeze all the wires into it not to mention the satisfaction your customer is going to get trying to switch one of four closely spaced switches especially for someone visually impaired.

I believe that Clipsal do a 5 gang version.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
wrote:
First there was Tesco Value ... then Asda Smartprice ... now

Low prices shouldn't mean low quality. The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets, but with the reliabillity [sic] and performance you'd expect from MK.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...ssentials.aspx

Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand stuff on ebay.

Hideous. ;-) For best value, the BG range from TLC takes some beating,
Plain simple design too.

The normal BG or the BG Nexus?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 July 2019 18:57:46 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I believe that Clipsal do a 5 gang version.

So they do.

https://www.dungannonelectrical.co.u...?prodref=E35WE

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/07/2019 19:41, wrote:
On Friday, 5 July 2019 18:57:46 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I believe that Clipsal do a 5 gang version.

So they do.

https://www.dungannonelectrical.co.u...?prodref=E35WE

Although IMHO it's not a problem for the blind but only a problem for
the obese as they cannot manage to only press one switch at a time due
to their fat fingers.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 14:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a brand is
what it used to be.
I mean the early affordable DVD players were branded Warfdale. The early
dolby cassette decks were branded Bell and Howell. Nobody for a second
thought these were the makers. They were brand engineered.
Brian

When has it been any different? Even 40+ years ago I was aware that a
VHS video recorder with a "quality name", and price to match, came from
the same assembly line (with identical innards) as a much cheaper brand
in the marketplace. This is also when I started losing faith in the
Which? reviews which gave widely different "quality" scoring for two
identical units with different badges. The more expensive of the boxes
was a best buy while the other wasn't worth considering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 04/07/2019 14:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a brand is
what it used to be.
I mean the early affordable DVD players were branded Warfdale. The early
dolby cassette decks were branded Bell and Howell. Nobody for a second
thought these were the makers. They were brand engineered.
Brian

When has it been any different? Even 40+ years ago I was aware that a
VHS video recorder with a "quality name", and price to match, came from
the same assembly line (with identical innards) as a much cheaper brand
in the marketplace. This is also when I started losing faith in the
Which? reviews which gave widely different "quality" scoring for two
identical units with different badges. The more expensive of the boxes
was a best buy while the other wasn't worth considering.

I came across this the other way round in the 1960s. Fergusson TVs were
good, HMV bad. Turned out the HMV sample only had one HMV and it had a
fault.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
First there was Tesco Value ... then Asda Smartprice ... now

Low prices shouldn't mean low quality. The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets, but with the reliabillity [sic] and performance you'd expect from MK.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...ssentials.aspx

Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand stuff on ebay.

Hideous. ;-) For best value, the BG range from TLC takes some beating,
Plain simple design too.

The normal BG or the BG Nexus?

I've never used the Nexus. The normal is my choice where style etc doesn't
matter. Although there may be better around now - but not that cheap MK by
the look of it. ;-)

The normal BG is pretty close to an older MK design.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
When has it been any different? Even 40+ years ago I was aware that a
VHS video recorder with a "quality name", and price to match, came from
the same assembly line (with identical innards) as a much cheaper brand
in the marketplace. This is also when I started losing faith in the
Which? reviews which gave widely different "quality" scoring for two
identical units with different badges. The more expensive of the boxes
was a best buy while the other wasn't worth considering.

I came across this the other way round in the 1960s. Fergusson TVs were
good, HMV bad. Turned out the HMV sample only had one HMV and it had a
fault.

Which can only report on the examples they tested. For a larger sample,
you'd need the reader's experiences. But few who dislike Which ever read
beyond the headlines.

--
*IF A TURTLE DOESN'T HAVE A SHELL, IS HE HOMELESS OR NAKED?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
First there was Tesco Value ... then Asda Smartprice ... now

Low prices shouldn't mean low quality. The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets, but with the reliabillity [sic] and performance you'd expect from MK.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...ssentials.aspx

Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand stuff on ebay.

Hideous. ;-) For best value, the BG range from TLC takes some beating,
Plain simple design too.

The normal BG or the BG Nexus?

I've never used the Nexus. The normal is my choice where style etc doesn't
matter. Although there may be better around now - but not that cheap MK by
the look of it. ;-)

The normal BG is pretty close to an older MK design.

The normal BG is our cheap fit for cheap jobs where no one cares, say a
cheap rental or a socket in the loft. Never had a problem with it.

Normally we fit Scolmore Click stuff.

All schools, hospitals, doctors surgeries etc nearly always demand that
MK is fitted. I understand it when specialist anti bacterial accessories
are required, but the rest of it is ********.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

Keep on believing it, Jim. Once out of the EU, the UK can again take its
rightful place as the world's leading manufacturer. Lead by that ace
engineer, Boris.

I don't believe he could engineer a wank.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 July 2019 18:24:00 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Lead by that ace engineer, Boris.
I don't believe he could engineer a wank.

At £2,291 per hour (average, writing for the Daily Telegraph) I expect he can pay someone to engineer a wank for him.

Owain