Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

On 05/07/2019 10:57, Robin wrote:
On 05/07/2019 09:06, wrote:
As part of the re-furb we're starting to think about how to escape a
fire if the staircase is impassable. We plan to stay here until age
and decrepitude means we have to move, so the system needs to be
usable by a wide age range. There seem to be escape ladders or rope
descenders (is there anything else, apart from greasy poles?) but I
can't imagine using a rope ladder when old, and a rope descender
either needs a return mechanism or a descender and harness for each
person.

What does the team think? Has anyone here been through the same
process and come up with a smart solution?

Is there any special reason you expect the stairs to become impassable
quickly - eg are they open plan to the kitchen and living areas?

If not, FWLIW my conclusion was that if I reach the point where
interlinked smoke alarms don't give me enough time to get down the
stairs and out then it's time to start sleeping downstairs.

Agreed, IMHO good smoke detectors should give very early warning. Also,
you just get up and go. No need to worry about deployment of something
potentially awkward, unless you are in an ideal situation with a crash
bar door straight on to a metal fire escape.