Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

On 05/07/2019 10:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 09:06:44 +0100, wrote:

As part of the re-furb we're starting to think about how to escape a
fire if the staircase is impassable. We plan to stay here until age and
decrepitude means we have to move, so the system needs to be usable by a
wide age range.

Escape from 1st floor only or higher?

1st floor, but the ceilings are higher than a modern house.

One assumes you have working and correctly placed smoke alarms and a
telephone upstairs. How long will it take the fire and rescue service
to get to you? How close are your neighbours, have you their phone
numbers?

I guess it would take 30+ minutes for the fire brigade to get here; no
neighbours near enough to help.

As you say rope (wire) ladders are awkward things even for the agile.

Thinking that as a closed domestic door will keep fire at bay for
quite a number of minutes and block the jam and floor gap with
whatever cloth is available (wet if possible) to keep the smoke and
fumes out (the real killers). Calling 999 and sitting tight maybe the
better bet if they'll be with you in less than 10 minutes.

No good here, the local, retained, fire and rescue pump would take
about fifteen minutes to arrive, by which time the place will be
"well alight". If a house catches fire outside of the town around
here the chances are it'll burn down. The next nearest pumps are 1/2
to 3/4 of a hour away.

If only from the first floor climb out of the window, lower yourself
full stretch of your arms, give a little push away from the wall and
drop. Feet to ground won't be much over 6', bend the knees roll out
of the fall, should getaway with just bruises. Plan ahead have a
border rather than something hard below escape windows.

This has to work for family and friends, and when we're older - I don't
think "dangle and drop" is an option.

Call the neighbours, get them to come and "catch" you from the arms
stretched position.

Keep a roll of gaffer tape in your escape room to save having to
stuff wet towels or what ever around the door. But be aware that
it'll burn through with hot gases quicker than a wet towel...

Fit a proper 30 min fire door and frame with bush and intumastic
seals to your escape room.

Perhaps, if I was planning to replace doors and linings (but I'm not)