Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Turning TV into a mirror

On 29/06/2019 09:08, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of making a surround for
the TV to make it look like a picture frame. I have seen a similar
idea online but cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in
front which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through when the TV
is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

Glass.

Glass reflects when lit from the front with dark behind

The classic way to do it is a semi silvered mirror which will let light
through but reflects a proportion of the incident light. What you see
then depends on which side of it has the strongest illumination.

Snag with doing it is that the screen mirror will reflect distracting
highlights from within the room so it is only any good in a darkened
room. If you can live with that limitation then you should be able to
find it by looking for semi-slivered mirror. eg.

https://www.schott.com/architecture/...ss/mirona.html

--
Regards,
Martin Brown