Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Turning TV into a mirror

Hi All

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of making a surround for the TV to make it look like a picture frame. I have seen a similar idea online but cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in front which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through when the TV is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

no idea.... but wummin' put on their slap looking into a mobile phone.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2019 09:08, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of making a surround for
the TV to make it look like a picture frame. I have seen a similar
idea online but cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in
front which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through when the TV
is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

Glass.

Glass reflects when lit from the front with dark behind

Thanks

Lee.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of
making a surround for the TV to make it look like a
picture frame. I have seen a similar idea online but
cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in front
which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through
when the TV is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

No magic involved at all. Any half silvered mirror will do that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2019 09:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
no idea.... but wummin' put on their slap looking into a mobile phone.....

You can get an app that sets the crystals in the display in the correct
orientation to reflect like a mirror.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 19:15:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of
making a surround for the TV to make it look like a
picture frame. I have seen a similar idea online but
cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in front
which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through
when the TV is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

No magic involved at all.

He didn't meant "magic" in a truly magical sense, you demented
auto-contradicting senile idiot!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2019 09:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 01:08:40 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Hi All

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of making a surround for the TV to make it look like a picture frame. I have seen a similar idea online but cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in front which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through when the TV is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

Thanks

Lee.

You can get so-called one-way reflective film for putting on windows,
so I guess it was some of that. I imaging the trick is to get it in
place without bubbles of air under it. Lots of sellers
https://tinyurl.com/y3uej8hu

I bought a roll of that 40 years ago and applied it to
my West-facing windows to cool the house down in summer.

It was applied to the inside of a clean window, wetted
with soapy water and the bubbles squeegeed out. Easy.

If you stuck that on a tv then it would be back-to-front,
surely ?.

******* stuff to remove too.

Maybe get a sheet of glass, with polished edges and
apply it to the side where it would be sandwiched
between glass and tv screen ?. Or just get some
proper two-way mirror glass and position in front of
tv ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 June 2019 09:08:42 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of making a surround for the TV to make it look like a picture frame. I have seen a similar idea online but cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in front which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through when the TV is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

Thanks

Lee.

1 way mirror. It does cut down light transmittance a lot though

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The film is a great idea if it works. Anyone tried it? Looking at the description it seems to work like one way mirror in that it depends on light differential so it would appear that it would work. Anyone tried it in this context.

How does it stick to the glass? If it is a bugger to get off wonder if sticking directly on to my TV is a good idea?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 29/06/2019 09:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
no idea.... but wummin' put on their slap looking into a mobile
phone.....

You can get an app that sets the crystals in the display in the correct
orientation to reflect like a mirror.

....and adds doggy ears and a nose...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
The film is a great idea if it works. Anyone tried it? Looking at the
description it seems to work like one way mirror in that it depends on
light differential so it would appear that it would work. Anyone tried it
in this context.

How does it stick to the glass? If it is a bugger to get off wonder if
sticking directly on to my TV is a good idea?

Not with a modern LCD TV it isnt, it will **** the screen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/06/2019 09:08, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of making a surround for the TV to make it look like a picture frame. I have seen a similar idea online but cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in front which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through when the TV is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

Have you tried YouTube?

Daft as it sounds there are often people on there that have done this
sort of thing.

Cheers

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 04:46:34 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

How does it stick to the glass? If it is a bugger to get off wonder if
sticking directly on to my TV is a good idea?

Not with a modern LCD TV it isnt, it will **** the screen.

He talked about GLASS, asshole!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But not any old display, as far as I am aware, it won't work on Oled
screens.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 29/06/2019 09:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
no idea.... but wummin' put on their slap looking into a mobile
phone.....

You can get an app that sets the crystals in the display in the correct
orientation to reflect like a mirror.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually simply turning it into a view yourself system could be handy if you
use software to dress the person in different clothing, as it would then
help people decide what might suit them.
Brian

--
----- --

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 29/06/2019 09:16, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
no idea.... but wummin' put on their slap looking into a mobile
phone.....

You can get an app that sets the crystals in the display in the correct
orientation to reflect like a mirror.

...and adds doggy ears and a nose...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2019 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
Actually simply turning it into a view yourself system could be handy if you
use software to dress the person in different clothing, as it would then
help people decide what might suit them.

Haven't you heard of the "deep nude" app that makes clothed women appear
naked?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2019 09:08, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

We are redoing our bedroom and was thinking of making a surround for
the TV to make it look like a picture frame. I have seen a similar
idea online but cleverly they have put a special mirror surface in
front which looks mirrored when TV is off but see through when the TV
is on. Any idea what this magic material is?

Glass.

Glass reflects when lit from the front with dark behind

The classic way to do it is a semi silvered mirror which will let light
through but reflects a proportion of the incident light. What you see
then depends on which side of it has the strongest illumination.

Snag with doing it is that the screen mirror will reflect distracting
highlights from within the room so it is only any good in a darkened
room. If you can live with that limitation then you should be able to
find it by looking for semi-slivered mirror. eg.

https://www.schott.com/architecture/...ss/mirona.html

--
Regards,
Martin Brown