Mike Lamond

Default New Home - Inspector Found some SERIOUS issues.

"Gren" wrote in message
om...
we have a signed sales contract.. We, as the buyers don't have to
contact contractors for estimates.. it's up to the seller. We've
considering amending the sales contract to accomodate the repair costs
for the seller.. for example.. if it costs the seller 10k and we paid
154k, either the seller can pay out of pocket, or we can pay some and
lower our bid amount. Also, according to the inspector, he said
insurance underwriters would most likely not allow the 60 amp service
to the house. We thought to ask the seller to bring it up to 100 amp,
and then I'll pay out of pocket for the electrician, while he's there,
to bring it from 100 to 200 amp.

I went to one open house where the owners had just installed a new 100
amp service. The price was right for them because the electrician was
one of their grandsons. If I'd bought the house, that new work would be
coming right out to be replaced by a 200 amp service.

I haven't even mentioned the host of other smaller problems we're not
asking the seller to address. Duct tape holding cabinet drawers
closed... The fact we have to prime and repaint every room in the
house, because of smoke stained walls. The water-heater is on year
11. The exterior garage is falling apart, we'll have to demolish and
rebuild. etc, etc.

Be careful about rebuilding the garage, because the zoning laws have
probably changed so that it no longer inside the minimum property line
setback, even though it was when it was built. Make sure that you can
get a permit that allows you to replace the garage in its original
location. I know of at least two houses where the garage was torn down
but not replaced, and now the current owners have no space to build.

Mike