Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard[_10_] Richard[_10_] is offline

Default Hearing aids

On 04/07/2019 19:12, charles wrote:
In article , Richard
wrote:
On 04/07/2019 13:20, wrote:
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 8:59:34 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/07/2019 20:08, Richard wrote:
On 03/07/2019 15:55,
wrote:
Have they improved much over the past few yeasr. Quote:

They can recognise your favourite restaurant Modern digital hearing
aids are self-learning. That means they get to know your preferred
settings for places you go to and adjust automatically.

My NHS Siemens aid is modern but doesn't do that.

They know when you€˜re having a one-to-one conversation Our hearing
aids don€˜t just turn up the volume, they identify the sounds you
want to hear and filter out the ones you don€˜t. So even in a noisy
room, you can hear the person you€˜re talking to clearly above the
background chatter.

Nor that.

I suspect they may have some better microphone directionality towards
the way you are facing than the older models.

You have to take marketing claims with a good pinch of salt.

They can help you watch TV Special technology can send the sound
from your TV or stereo direct to your hearing aids. So you can
easily hear your favourite programmes or listen to music without
disturbing others.

Or that.

It must surely have a T-loop setting - although they have become a bit
redundant now that the processing of speech is so good. You probably
have to press a fiddly little button somewhere to use that mode.

So clever, they can answer your phone for you With a discreet remote
control in your pocket or handbag, you can answer your mobile phone
at the click of a button. You€˜ll enjoy clear conversations as you
listen to the call through your hearing aids.

No.

The discrete remote in your pocket is the bit that NHS kit is missing.
I don't know if any NHS ones support bluetooth yet. My fathers didn't.

They even listen to each other At Specsavers we give you two hearing
aids for the price of one, programmed to work together. So when the
settings in one hearing aid change, the other responds to give you
perfectly balanced, all-round hearing.

I only have one, but I'm betting if I had two they wouldn't do that.

They will give you a pair if your weaker ear deteriorates.

Is all if this true or is it marketing hype?

Probably true to an extent for a price.

Considering the cost of mine, I'd say that I really couldn't be more
satisfied.

And ISTR you get free batteries on the NHS (maybe only for pensioners).

-- Regards, Martin Brown

Thanks to all for the replies. Specsavers have a 90 day money back
guarantee so that might be the way to assess the situation

If your hearing is impaired, see your GP for a referral. Specsavers will
then assess your hearing and if it falls below a certain level they can
supply NHS hearing aids, or you can pay for others. I could have had my
aid programmed with a few of the perks, but chose not to. The batteries
for my aid are free and I'm not an OAP.

But you are able to claim a "Disabled Person's Railcard".

Which I won't because I don't see the logic.