Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hearing aids

Have they improved much over the past few yeasr.
Quote:

They can recognise your favourite restaurant
Modern digital hearing aids are self-learning. That means they get to know your preferred settings for places you go to and adjust automatically.

They know when youre having a one-to-one conversation
Our hearing aids dont just turn up the volume, they identify the sounds you want to hear and filter out the ones you dont. So even in a noisy room, you can hear the person youre talking to clearly above the background chatter.

They can help you watch TV
Special technology can send the sound from your TV or stereo direct to your hearing aids. So you can easily hear your favourite programmes or listen to music without disturbing others.

So clever, they can answer your phone for you
With a discreet remote control in your pocket or handbag, you can answer your mobile phone at the click of a button. Youll enjoy clear conversations as you listen to the call through your hearing aids.

They even listen to each other
At Specsavers we give you two hearing aids for the price of one, programmed to work together. So when the settings in one hearing aid change, the other responds to give you perfectly balanced, all-round hearing.

Is all if this true or is it marketing hype?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 15:55, wrote:
Have they improved much over the past few yeasr. Quote:

The step change was around 2000 when sophisticated digital hearing aids
came onto the market for the first time. They have improved a bit since
then getting smaller and smarter at picking out wanted signal from noise
and sometimes mapping real world frequencies onto the ones you can still
hear (no good at all for listening to music).

[...]

It is at least partly true. My father was regularly on firing position
on WWII antiaircraft guns and went deaf in later life as a result. He at
one point had to get a private digital hearing aid to be able to hear at
all in complex situations - though he could lip read pretty well
provided that you were facing him.

By the time that one had reached end of life the NHS ones had gone
digital and were a step up from the one he had bought privately. The
main thing that you get by paying for them is mostly a smaller physical
size and shorter battery life. The NHS ones pretty much kept pace with
his declining hearing with each successive generation after that.

Try the NHS first before you part with any money for a private one.

NHS ones clip over the back of the ear and have a custom moulding to fit
the ear. Most of the private ones now fit entirely inside the ear.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 15:55, wrote:
Have they improved much over the past few yeasr.
Quote:

They can recognise your favourite restaurant
Modern digital hearing aids are self-learning. That means they get to know your preferred settings for places you go to and adjust automatically.

My NHS Siemens aid is modern but doesn't do that.

They know when youre having a one-to-one conversation
Our hearing aids dont just turn up the volume, they identify the sounds you want to hear and filter out the ones you dont. So even in a noisy room, you can hear the person youre talking to clearly above the background chatter.

Nor that.

They can help you watch TV
Special technology can send the sound from your TV or stereo direct to your hearing aids. So you can easily hear your favourite programmes or listen to music without disturbing others.

Or that.

So clever, they can answer your phone for you
With a discreet remote control in your pocket or handbag, you can answer your mobile phone at the click of a button. Youll enjoy clear conversations as you listen to the call through your hearing aids.

No.

They even listen to each other
At Specsavers we give you two hearing aids for the price of one, programmed to work together. So when the settings in one hearing aid change, the other responds to give you perfectly balanced, all-round hearing.

I only have one, but I'm betting if I had two they wouldn't do that.

Is all if this true or is it marketing hype?

Probably true to an extent for a price.

Considering the cost of mine, I'd say that I really couldn't be more
satisfied.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 17:01:56 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Try the NHS first before you part with any money for a private one.

+1

NHS ones clip over the back of the ear and have a custom moulding to fit
the ear. Most of the private ones now fit entirely inside the ear.

That depends on the size of the ear canal. I have one with a mould and
one with a standard insert, that comes in different sizes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Funny how the best ones seem to be all made in Scandinavia. All have smart
phone apps these days but beware if you have any sight loss some are more
accessible than others. Test them first and always ask an independent
audiologist if you can. They are not exactly cheap and you don't want to get
the wrong ones.
Battery life is often an issue though. Make sure it uses cheap ones or can
recharge.
I know these things from people I know, not myself.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 20:08, Richard wrote:
On 03/07/2019 15:55, wrote:
Have they improved much over the past few yeasr.
Quote:

They can recognise your favourite restaurant
Modern digital hearing aids are self-learning. That means they get to
know your preferred settings for places you go to and adjust
automatically.

My NHS Siemens aid is modern but doesn't do that.

They know when youre having a one-to-one conversation
Our hearing aids dont just turn up the volume, they identify the
sounds you want to hear and filter out the ones you dont. So even in
a noisy room, you can hear the person youre talking to clearly above
the background chatter.

Nor that.

I suspect they may have some better microphone directionality towards
the way you are facing than the older models.

You have to take marketing claims with a good pinch of salt.

They can help you watch TV
Special technology can send the sound from your TV or stereo direct to
your hearing aids. So you can easily hear your favourite programmes or
listen to music without disturbing others.

Or that.

It must surely have a T-loop setting - although they have become a bit
redundant now that the processing of speech is so good. You probably
have to press a fiddly little button somewhere to use that mode.

So clever, they can answer your phone for you
With a discreet remote control in your pocket or handbag, you can
answer your mobile phone at the click of a button. Youll enjoy clear
conversations as you listen to the call through your hearing aids.

No.

The discrete remote in your pocket is the bit that NHS kit is missing.
I don't know if any NHS ones support bluetooth yet. My fathers didn't.

They even listen to each other
At Specsavers we give you two hearing aids for the price of one,
programmed to work together. So when the settings in one hearing aid
change, the other responds to give you perfectly balanced, all-round
hearing.

I only have one, but I'm betting if I had two they wouldn't do that.

They will give you a pair if your weaker ear deteriorates.

Is all if this true or is it marketing hype?

Probably true to an extent for a price.

Considering the cost of mine, I'd say that I really couldn't be more
satisfied.

And ISTR you get free batteries on the NHS (maybe only for pensioners).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 15:55, wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for the replies. Specsavers have a 90 day money back guarantee so that might be the way to assess the situation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 15:55, wrote:
[...]

so, I understand, do Boots.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

If your hearing is impaired, see your GP for a referral. Specsavers will
then assess your hearing and if it falls below a certain level they can
supply NHS hearing aids, or you can pay for others.
I could have had my aid programmed with a few of the perks, but chose
not to. The batteries for my aid are free and I'm not an OAP.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 16:47, Martin Brown wrote:
On 04/07/2019 14:23, Richard wrote:
On 04/07/2019 13:20, wrote:
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 8:59:34 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

And ISTR you get free batteries on the NHS (maybe only for pensioners).

Thanks to all for the replies. Specsavers have a 90 day money back
guarantee so that might be the way to assess the situation

If your hearing is impaired, see your GP for a referral. Specsavers
will then assess your hearing and if it falls below a certain level
they can supply NHS hearing aids, or you can pay for others.
I could have had my aid programmed with a few of the perks, but chose
not to. The batteries for my aid are free and I'm not an OAP.

An outpost of the NHS audiology department at a nearby health centre did
my parents hearing aid tests in a purpose build sound proofed room.

Unless you are very fashion conscious I would suggest you check out what
the NHS hearing aids can do for your hearing before buying one.

A fair amount of the fitting expertise is in matching the device to your
remaining hearing sensitivity and fine tuning it. If you are paying for
that skill privately then the costs can rapidly mount up.

You are a tad out of date. Specsavers (and others) now do NHS hearing
services. The unit in Royal South Hants hospital where I got my first
hearing aid no longer does the service which I receive.
Specsavers will provide, absolutely free, NHS hearing aids to anyone
whose hearing is sufficiently compromised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

But you are able to claim a "Disabled Person's Railcard".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 19:12, charles wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Which I won't because I don't see the logic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Had a 'works' reunion the other day, and as is to be expected several had
hearing aids. One such was the old HOD. Who was a superb sound mixer in
his day - responsible for Rock Follies and many similar. Not short of a
few bob, he ended up with NHS units. One for each ear. And fitted them
with windgags from personal mics, to stop the wind noise when cycling, as
he had done to this meeting. Looked like he had a couple of small mice
behind his ears. ;-) But was very please how they worked - and preferred
that over looks as many at over 80 might agree.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 13:20, wrote:
[...]

But the NHS only provides the first one 'free'. Lose it at your
peril. And be very, very wary of being admitted to hospital because
modern digital hearing aids are expensive and 'disappear' very
easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 13:20, wrote:
[...]

If lost, the replacement will cost all of about 70 quid.
FWIW, I did lose mine last year. The replacement cost all of nothing as
it was fairly old. The replacement was done at the local Specsavers.
Original aid had a moulded earpiece, the replacement a soft one with
thin tube. Unfortunately there was too much feedback with this and I
tolerated it for quite some time. Specsavers fiddled with levels at
various frequencies to try and alleviate the problem.
On Monday of this week, I received a new moulded earpiece which was
fitted at the same Specsavers. This has a larger bore tube which can
cope better with the volume required. The aid was reprogrammed to
accommodate the new fitting. All this at no cost, except to the public
purse.

As for being admitted to hospital and things getting stolen, I guess
anything pocketable of value is fair game.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 13:20, wrote:
[...]

NHS Wales charges £65, but the pdf document has this line :-

"Patients will always be provided with replacement hearing aid(s),
whether or not they agree to pay."

So for some that means 'free', even if they deliberately 'lost' it to
get an upgrade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some time before I got mine from the local hospital audiology department our lass had gone to Specsavers in response to deteriorating hearing. They performed various tests and suggested she needed to spend around three thousand quid.
She came home, made a gp surgery appointment and had her ears tested to a basic level at the surgery. They referred her to hospital audiology for soundproof room testing and she was prescribed a discreet digital aid. The responses were programmed to follow closely the frequency ranges determined by the test. Batteries last about a week and are issued free at the local surgery.
Some time later she complained I only heard part of what she had said so I followed the nhs route. After a few weeks bedding in time I wasn't happy with the high frequencies response as they seemed too loud. A return visit and the unit programming changed. All is good now and sounds I hadn't realised I was missing are heard clearly. All this was free via the nhs instead of a small fortune at Specsavers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
As for being admitted to hospital and things getting stolen, I guess
anything pocketable of value is fair game.

My local hospital provided a locker for things like your phone etc, when
having day surgery.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
As for being admitted to hospital and things getting stolen, I guess
anything pocketable of value is fair game.

My local hospital provided a locker for things like your phone etc, when
having day surgery.

I'd rather hoped that would be the case. Andrew was being a tad alarmist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
As for being admitted to hospital and things getting stolen, I guess
anything pocketable of value is fair game.

My local hospital provided a locker for things like your phone etc,
when having day surgery.

I'd rather hoped that would be the case. Andrew was being a tad alarmist.

I was actually quite impressed. They put bar code stickers on things like
your specs if you wished to wear them for as long as possible before going
under the knife. Everything else went in the locker.

In a vast place like the average hospital with all and sundry likely to be
there, it would be surprising if there wasn't some pilfering. So it makes
sense to only take the bare essentials with you. You don't actually need a
gold Rolex or diamond necklace in hospital.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
As for being admitted to hospital and things getting stolen, I guess
anything pocketable of value is fair game.

My local hospital provided a locker for things like your phone etc,
when having day surgery.

I'd rather hoped that would be the case. Andrew was being a tad alarmist.

I was actually quite impressed. They put bar code stickers on things like
your specs if you wished to wear them for as long as possible before going
under the knife. Everything else went in the locker.

Hopefully I can avoid the knife thing for a long time.

In a vast place like the average hospital with all and sundry likely to be
there, it would be surprising if there wasn't some pilfering. So it makes
sense to only take the bare essentials with you. You don't actually need a
gold Rolex or diamond necklace in hospital.

Just as well, I own neither

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 15:11:27 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In a vast place like the average hospital with all and sundry likely to
be there, it would be surprising if there wasn't some pilfering. So it
makes sense to only take the bare essentials with you. You don't
actually need a gold Rolex or diamond necklace in hospital.

So what do you do, then, Dave? Stick your diamond-bezel Rolex in the
glovebox of your Porsche? Then claim your free parking?

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2019 12:44, Richard wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Richard wrote:
As for being admitted to hospital and things getting stolen, I guess
anything pocketable of value is fair game.

My local hospital provided a locker for things like your phone etc, when
having day surgery.

I'd rather hoped that would be the case. Andrew was being a tad alarmist.

A relative had a fall and was taken to the Heath Hospital by ambulance
in a semi-comatiose state.

The relative who found him went in the ambulance and took his NHS
hearing aid and other essentials at the same time, but while being
transferred to another local hospital (after initial investigation
at the Heath) his hearing aid vanished before he got through the
initial confusion stage.

So I'm not being alarmist. Stuff disappears from hospitals, simply
because of their open access.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Stuff disappears from hospitals, simply
because of their open access.

Stuff also gets lost when people move wards/beds, probably not malicious.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
I was actually quite impressed. They put bar code stickers on things
like your specs if you wished to wear them for as long as possible
before going under the knife. Everything else went in the locker.

Hopefully I can avoid the knife thing for a long time.

I did too. Had an inspection of the inside of the bladder. They can do
this using a small flexible camera, but this one was to allow them to do a
minor operation. So used what they call a rigid cysto. So put you under
first. Hope you're not eating - and have you crossed your legs while
reading this? ;-)

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
I was actually quite impressed. They put bar code stickers on things
like your specs if you wished to wear them for as long as possible
before going under the knife. Everything else went in the locker.

Hopefully I can avoid the knife thing for a long time.

I did too. Had an inspection of the inside of the bladder. They can do
this using a small flexible camera, but this one was to allow them to do a
minor operation. So used what they call a rigid cysto. So put you under
first. Hope you're not eating - and have you crossed your legs while
reading this? ;-)

No sweat. Watching information films about remedial work on STD affected
genitalia really did make one uncomfortable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 13:17:42 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Richard wrote:
I was actually quite impressed. They put bar code stickers on things
like your specs if you wished to wear them for as long as possible
before going under the knife. Everything else went in the locker.

Hopefully I can avoid the knife thing for a long time.

I did too. Had an inspection of the inside of the bladder. They can do
this using a small flexible camera, but this one was to allow them to do
a minor operation. So used what they call a rigid cysto. So put you
under first. Hope you're not eating - and have you crossed your legs
while reading this? ;-)

Try having a HoLEP procedure...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 13:17:42 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I did too. Had an inspection of the inside of the bladder. They can do
this using a small flexible camera, but this one was to allow them to do
a minor operation. So used what they call a rigid cysto. So put you
under first. Hope you're not eating - and have you crossed your legs
while reading this? ;-)

Dunno about him, but *I* have.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2019 17:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 13:17:42 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I did too. Had an inspection of the inside of the bladder. They can do
this using a small flexible camera, but this one was to allow them to do
a minor operation. So used what they call a rigid cysto. So put you
under first. Hope you're not eating - and have you crossed your legs
while reading this? ;-)

Dunno about him, but *I* have.

Had this done a couple of years ago; cameras and other equipment
going down little holes never designed to take them.

And it don't half sting when you pee after the anaesthetic
has worn off :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2019 08:05, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Stuff disappears from hospitals, simply
because of their open access.

Stuff also gets lost when people move wards/beds, probably not malicious.

It was in a small 'tupperware' plastic pot with a lid along with
personal items inside a plastic carrier bag.

At the receiving ward, the plastic bag with all its contents,
including the tupperware pot, with lid still snapped into
place, but by now empty.

QED it was half-inched, and like many smart phones is already
out in the 'third world'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
As for being admitted to hospital and things getting stolen, I guess
anything pocketable of value is fair game.

My local hospital provided a locker for things like your phone etc,
when having day surgery.

I'd rather hoped that would be the case. Andrew was being a tad alarmist.

I was actually quite impressed. They put bar code stickers on things like
your specs if you wished to wear them for as long as possible before going
under the knife. Everything else went in the locker.

In a vast place like the average hospital with all and sundry likely to be
there, it would be surprising if there wasn't some pilfering. So it makes
sense to only take the bare essentials with you. You don't actually need a
gold Rolex or diamond necklace in hospital.

you don't need them when on the beach in Benidorm

doesn't stop people taking them

tim

--
*That's it! I'm calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 17:37:39 +0100, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs
Computer wrote:

Had this done a couple of years ago; cameras and other equipment going
down little holes never designed to take them.

And it don't half sting when you pee after the anaesthetic has worn off
:-(

Anyone here ever had the clap? I'm not sure it's still done, but many
years ago when I was mis-spending my youth, I caught a dose of it and
part of the treatment was to shove this umbrella shaped scraper right up
your dick to take a sample. That ****ing hurt afterwards as well.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

Had this done a couple of years ago; cameras and other equipment going
down little holes never designed to take them.

And it don't half sting when you pee after the anaesthetic has worn off
:-(

Anyone here ever had the clap? I'm not sure it's still done, but many
years ago when I was mis-spending my youth, I caught a dose of it and
part of the treatment was to shove this umbrella shaped scraper right up
your dick to take a sample. That ****ing hurt afterwards as well.

Try kidney stones

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 11:43:34 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Try kidney stones

I'll give that a miss if it's all the same to you.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 13:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 11:43:34 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Try kidney stones

I'll give that a miss if it's all the same to you.

I would certainly recommend that course of action.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

Had this done a couple of years ago; cameras and other equipment going
down little holes never designed to take them.

And it don't half sting when you pee after the anaesthetic has worn off
:-(

Anyone here ever had the clap? I'm not sure it's still done, but many
years ago when I was mis-spending my youth, I caught a dose of it and
part of the treatment was to shove this umbrella shaped scraper right up
your dick to take a sample. That ****ing hurt afterwards as well.

Try kidney stones

Pee gravel?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

Had this done a couple of years ago; cameras and other equipment going
down little holes never designed to take them.

And it don't half sting when you pee after the anaesthetic has worn off
:-(

Anyone here ever had the clap? I'm not sure it's still done, but many
years ago when I was mis-spending my youth, I caught a dose of it and
part of the treatment was to shove this umbrella shaped scraper right up
your dick to take a sample. That ****ing hurt afterwards as well.

Try kidney stones

My father had those. Someone had to drive him to hospital from work, on
the way he was sick out of the car window, due to the pain, and lost his
false teeth!

At the hospital he was soon diagnosed and given painkillers. While
awaiting admission, he spoke to a doctor, who allowed him to leave for a
few hours. He called the police and got permission to walk along the
hard-shoulder of the M62 with a following police car, but could not
retrieve them. Without them, he couldn't eat solids for weeks until he
got a new set - which were never as good as the set he lost.

On visiting him in hospital, my uncle handed him a bag of sweets shaped
like teeth and gums

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

Had this done a couple of years ago; cameras and other equipment going
down little holes never designed to take them.

And it don't half sting when you pee after the anaesthetic has worn off
:-(

Anyone here ever had the clap? I'm not sure it's still done, but many
years ago when I was mis-spending my youth, I caught a dose of it and
part of the treatment was to shove this umbrella shaped scraper right up
your dick to take a sample. That ****ing hurt afterwards as well.

Try kidney stones

My father had those. Someone had to drive him to hospital from work, on
the way he was sick out of the car window, due to the pain, and lost his
false teeth!

Yup. Pretty much amost my experience. Fortunately ionce at A & E and
waiting to be seen I drank several pints of water and somehow must have
passed it

If you have pains in your back, then lower abdomen then prick and blood
in your urine, feel sick, wanna pee and cant, drnk lots and get to A & E.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal

Hearing Aids Brian Gaff UK diy 53 May 10th 18 09:14 PM
Hearing aids. Michael Chare[_2_] UK diy 25 October 11th 13 05:32 PM
Threshold of hearing - hearing threshold.pdf John Fields Electronic Schematics 3 September 20th 09 12:23 AM
O.T. Hearing aids Unknown Metalworking 17 November 5th 07 08:35 PM
Phones, hearing aids and loop aerials Tim Downie UK diy 5 December 12th 03 07:34 PM