Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Amazon - deep down are they rip-off merchants?

"Jim K.." wrote in message
o.uk...
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer hea
Wrote in message:
On 03/07/2019 13:44, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 03/07/2019 12:24, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
Been a regular customer of Amaxon for a couple of years
and paying extra for their next day free postage prime service.

But why do the costs of items under prime seem to exceed the
cost when not prime and paying for postage? You can fool
all of the people some of the time?

To some degree, yes. Prime subscribers might just hit the prime link
without looking too hard. Probably guilty of that myself, but it means
you never have to consider delivery charges, and of course, you often,
but not always, get it fast.

So, try to set up item return. But at £17 for the purchase, all
options are going to cost half of that in time and money.
Why couldn't they just pick it up themselves?

Because it costs too much :-/.

Next difficulty - well nigh impossible to find an email address
to complain to Amazon. All menu options keep steering back to
the return item screen which is no good; at least 10 mile round trip
and cost of packaging to resolve.

That's intentional. Use the chat or send a message and they'll call you
if required. They don't want email because the process will be automated
to some degree and they're looking to minimise the human interaction
required, because that takes time and costs money. A pre-populated form
can be me handled by machine.

This is the first and only time I've wanted to send something back
and the frustration of trying to work into their shilly shallying
on the matter is sufficient to lose me as a customer.

I've been a customer since 2000, and I've returned stuff several times,
never had any problems. If fact, if you return stuff through Collect+,
you get a refund as soon as you take the item to the collection point.

Like many companies depending on tech a lot, you generally ahve to
follow the flow the way they want it to be used...

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something
of only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost impossible
to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the working day, let
alone the cost of parking (which I don't know because of its cost, I
avoid it all the time. (Which must impact on the livelihood of
shopkeepers if people are avoiding the town; places such as
Portishead and Shirley in Brum have free parking and in both places
the high street is buzzing)) Taken with the difficulty of finding
suitable packing materials and the time involved it's far too onerous

BUT BUT BUT Amazon have just rung back (I put the phone down on them
twice already) and have agreed to refund the money with me not having
to return the goods (which don't work anyway so not a bonus) so at least
there is a human side to their dealings with customers.

Well done, Amazon, I take it all back (Well, at least some of it)

Are you related to D i m ?

Where else are you going to go & find this stuff for 17 quid
without paying for parking, time or transport etc etc
??

you can buy a programmable remove in Sainsbury's for 12 quid

unfortunately last time I bought one of these there was no section labelled

STB on the program list

tim