Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Amazon - deep down are they rip-off merchants?

Been a regular customer of Amaxon for a couple of years
and paying extra for their next day free postage prime service.

But why do the costs of items under prime seem to exceed the
cost when not prime and paying for postage? You can fool
all of the people some of the time?

But I digress.

Needed a replacement controller for a Humax HDR1100S PVR.

Arrives the next day after ordering, today.

But there's no button to look at list of recordings.

So not compatible as advertised. Time to put before trading standards?

So, try to set up item return. But at £17 for the purchase, all
options are going to cost half of that in time and money.
Why couldn't they just pick it up themselves?

Next difficulty - well nigh impossible to find an email address
to complain to Amazon. All menu options keep steering back to
the return item screen which is no good; at least 10 mile round trip
and cost of packaging to resolve.

This is the first and only time I've wanted to send something back
and the frustration of trying to work into their shilly shallying
on the matter is sufficient to lose me as a customer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer" wrote
in message ...
Been a regular customer of Amaxon for a couple of years
and paying extra for their next day free postage prime service.

But why do the costs of items under prime seem to exceed the
cost when not prime and paying for postage? You can fool
all of the people some of the time?

But I digress.

Needed a replacement controller for a Humax HDR1100S PVR.

Arrives the next day after ordering, today.

But there's no button to look at list of recordings.

didn't you get a crib sheet telling you which button provides the required
functionality

I have a non-original replacement remote for that machine.

pressing "FAV" gets you the recordings list

Yes, the alternative functions are a PITA, but basically it works

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 12:24, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
Been a regular customer of Amaxon for a couple of years
and paying extra for their next day free postage prime service.

But why do the costs of items under prime seem to exceed the
cost when not prime and paying for postage? You can fool
all of the people some of the time?

But I digress.

Needed a replacement controller for a Humax HDR1100S PVR.

Arrives the next day after ordering, today.

But there's no button to look at list of recordings.

So not compatible as advertised. Time to put before trading standards?

So, try to set up item return. But at £17 for the purchase, all
options are going to cost half of that in timeÂ* and money.
Why couldn't they just pick it up themselves?

Next difficulty - well nigh impossible to find an email address
to complain to Amazon. All menu options keep steering back to
the return item screen which is no good; at least 10 mile round trip
and cost of packaging to resolve.

This is the first and only time I've wanted to send something back
and the frustration of trying to work into their shilly shallying
on the matter is sufficient to lose me as a customer.

I subscribed to their prime. So I ordered an item it will take 8 days to
arrive. Free postage, but what about prime? A rip off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Well I usually use their chat service and just ask for what I want/need.
Replaced a faulty vivosmart two weeks ago.
They credited me with the original cost from 18 months ago and an extra
£5 for inconvenience and I ordered a new cheaper one for next day.
I printed a label and dropped it in at the post office and that was it.

Very easy to do you just follow the link that says returns.

Its even easier if it within 30 days as you just click on return item in
your orders.

You should try chat..
just go to the bottom of the page and click help
then click more help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 12:24, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
Been a regular customer of Amaxon for a couple of years
and paying extra for their next day free postage prime service.

But why do the costs of items under prime seem to exceed the
cost when not prime and paying for postage? You can fool
all of the people some of the time?

Exactly. Andmamny items are not available outside prime

But I digress.

Needed a replacement controller for a Humax HDR1100S PVR.

Arrives the next day after ordering, today.

But there's no button to look at list of recordings.

So not compatible as advertised. Time to put before trading standards?

So, try to set up item return. But at £17 for the purchase, all
options are going to cost half of that in timeÂ* and money.
Why couldn't they just pick it up themselves?

Next difficulty - well nigh impossible to find an email address
to complain to Amazon. All menu options keep steering back to
the return item screen which is no good; at least 10 mile round trip
and cost of packaging to resolve.

This is the first and only time I've wanted to send something back
and the frustration of trying to work into their shilly shallying
on the matter is sufficient to lose me as a customer.

Used to be great. Now falling into the google mode. Squeezing you for
every cent.

all women"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
Been a regular customer of Amaxon for a couple of years
and paying extra for their next day free postage prime service.

But why do the costs of items under prime seem to exceed the
cost when not prime and paying for postage? You can fool
all of the people some of the time?

But I digress.

Needed a replacement controller for a Humax HDR1100S PVR.

Arrives the next day after ordering, today.

But there's no button to look at list of recordings.

didn't you get a crib sheet telling you which button provides the
required functionality

I have a non-original replacement remote for that machine.

pressing "FAV" gets you the recordings list

Yes, the alternative functions are a PITA, but basically it works

A crib sheet came but only with numerical codes to set it up
as a TV (not PVR) controller.

Otherwise, have tried all the buttons but none bring up
the list of recorded programs.

The odd thing is that every other button in the same position
as the original controller work as expected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 12:48, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

I used the chat service and went round in circles so finally used the
ring-me-back facility and got an almost incomprehensible Indian voice.
(Aren't they all?) who seemed to be reading from a script that seemed
just like the chat service merry-go-round, so was no help at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 12:24, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
Been a regular customer of Amaxon for a couple of years
and paying extra for their next day free postage prime service.

But why do the costs of items under prime seem to exceed the
cost when not prime and paying for postage? You can fool
all of the people some of the time?

To some degree, yes. Prime subscribers might just hit the prime link
without looking too hard. Probably guilty of that myself, but it means
you never have to consider delivery charges, and of course, you often,
but not always, get it fast.

So, try to set up item return. But at £17 for the purchase, all
options are going to cost half of that in timeÂ* and money.
Why couldn't they just pick it up themselves?

Because it costs too much :-/.

Next difficulty - well nigh impossible to find an email address
to complain to Amazon. All menu options keep steering back to
the return item screen which is no good; at least 10 mile round trip
and cost of packaging to resolve.

That's intentional. Use the chat or send a message and they'll call you
if required. They don't want email because the process will be automated
to some degree and they're looking to minimise the human interaction
required, because that takes time and costs money. A pre-populated form
can be me handled by machine.

This is the first and only time I've wanted to send something back
and the frustration of trying to work into their shilly shallying
on the matter is sufficient to lose me as a customer.

I've been a customer since 2000, and I've returned stuff several times,
never had any problems. If fact, if you return stuff through Collect+,
you get a refund as soon as you take the item to the collection point.

Like many companies depending on tech a lot, you generally ahve to
follow the flow the way they want it to be used...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its no different to supermarket special offers. Take for example biscuits.
One day, special offer 62p, next day, same packet £112 for the same thing.

Its loss leaders and of course promotion. Remember they probably know each
individual customers habits and can tweak things to suit.

Try leaving stuff in you basket for some time and watch out for a special
offer on that item. It cannot be coincidence that this happens, can it?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 12:24, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
...Amazon...

No help to the OP but on the topic of Amazon...

Just out of interest does anyone else *not* order from Amazon.

Only it seems to me that everyone wants a moan about the high street
being a ghost town full of kebab shops and charity shops, and the
government being bankrupt because no ****er will pay any tax etc. but if
there's a quid to be saved...

I use a forum for opticians, they **** and moan about this and that but
ask where they bought something and 99+% of the time it's Amazon. I
wonder if they'll keep it up when Amazon start selling glasses?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 13:44, Chris Bartram wrote:
[...]

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something
of only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost impossible
to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the working day, let
alone the cost of parking (which I don't know because of its cost, I
avoid it all the time. (Which must impact on the livelihood of
shopkeepers if people are avoiding the town; places such as
Portishead and Shirley in Brum have free parking and in both places
the high street is buzzing)) Taken with the difficulty of finding
suitable packing materials and the time involved it's far too onerous

BUT BUT BUT Amazon have just rung back (I put the phone down on them
twice already) and have agreed to refund the money with me not having
to return the goods (which don't work anyway so not a bonus) so at least
there is a human side to their dealings with customers.

Well done, Amazon, I take it all back (Well, at least some of it)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/07/2019 14:16, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something
of only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost impossible
to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the working day, let
alone the cost of parking (which I don't know because of its cost, I
avoid it all the time.

It's actually dead easy to return stuff.

Click Account .. Orders .. Find the item ... Return or replace item

It asks for a reason. Choose faulty or not as described. They'll come
and collect it FOC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 15:05, GB wrote:
On 03/07/2019 14:16, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something
of only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost impossible
to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the working day, let
alone the cost of parking (which I don't know because of its cost, I
avoid it all the time.

It's actually dead easy to return stuff.

Click Account .. Orders ..Â* Find the item ... Return or replace item

It asks for a reason. Choose faulty or not as described. They'll come
and collect it FOC.

That's my point. They have (England) no procedures in place to collect
it. All return options offered involve 3rd parties some distance away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 15:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 15:18:10 +0100, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs
Computer wrote:

On 03/07/2019 15:05, GB wrote:
On 03/07/2019 14:16, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something of
only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost impossible
to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the working day, let
alone the cost of parking (which I don't know because of its cost, I
avoid it all the time.

It's actually dead easy to return stuff.

Click Account .. Orders ..Â* Find the item ... Return or replace item

It asks for a reason. Choose faulty or not as described. They'll come
and collect it FOC.

That's my point. They have (England) no procedures in place to collect
it. All return options offered involve 3rd parties some distance away.

Was it *Amazon* you ordered from, or a 3rd party via Amazon ? The two are
very different workflows.

Interesting, I always order through Amazon but it appears in this case
that it was a company called TV Tech Int

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer hea
Wrote in message:
[...]

Are you related to D i m ?

Where else are you going to go & find this stuff for 17 quid
without paying for parking, time or transport etc etc
??

If you can't be arsed putting yourself out a but if it goes a bit
wrong sometimes, just budget for a new PVR or whatever?

The fact that ninnies like you moan & get away with playing the
customer services game probably explains others' observations
about increased costs!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 16:19, Jim K.. wrote:

Are you related to D i m ?

Where else are you going to go & find this stuff for 17 quid
without paying for parking, time or transport etc etc
??

If you can't be arsed putting yourself out a but if it goes a bit
wrong sometimes, just budget for a new PVR or whatever?

The fact that ninnies like you moan & get away with playing the
customer services game probably explains others' observations
about increased costs!

How rude!

Grow up, Sonny.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 16:22, Jethro_uk wrote:

Apologies if I misunderstood the OP but if it was a replacement remote
control did you not look at the more man+dog sites. I found one to
replace a *really* obscure remote a few years ago on eBay.

Normally I'd go straight to amazon as a trusted seller and
only look else where if they can't supply. Saves having
to set up other on-line accounts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
Wrote in message:
[...]

you can buy a programmable remove in Sainsbury's for 12 quid

unfortunately last time I bought one of these there was no section labelled

STB on the program list

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Its no different to supermarket special offers. Take for example biscuits.
One day, special offer 62p, next day, same packet £112 for the same thing.

Its loss leaders and of course promotion. Remember they probably know each
individual customers habits and can tweak things to suit.

can't believe that works for Amazon

1) It's too easy to compare the price with eBay

2) people don't go into Amazon for a packet of biscuits and come out a
basketful of other stuff whilst they were there. They just buy the packet
of biscuits

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 13:44, Chris Bartram wrote:

I've been a customer since 2000, and I've returned stuff several times,
never had any problems. If fact, if you return stuff through Collect+,
you get a refund as soon as you take the item to the collection point.

They have always given me the refund before I return the item, but will
charge if they don't get it within 30 days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 15:18, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

That's my point. They have (England) no procedures in place to collect
it. All return options offered involve 3rd parties some distance away.

There has always been the option to collect here in England but I find
it easier to drop it in at the post office.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 14:16:33 +0100
wrote:

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something
of only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost
impossible to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the
working day, let alone the cost of parking (which I don't know
because of its cost, I avoid it all the time.

A mile away?

Walk you fat, bone-idle, lifestyle diabetic ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 14:16:33 +0100
wrote:

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something
of only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost
impossible to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the
working day, let alone the cost of parking (which I don't know
because of its cost, I avoid it all the time.

A mile away?

Walk you fat, bone-idle, lifestyle diabetic ****.

Phucker?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something
of only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost
impossible to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the
working day, let alone the cost of parking (which I don't know
because of its cost, I avoid it all the time.

A mile away?

Walk you fat, bone-idle, lifestyle diabetic ****.

Is he fat? Judge for yourself....

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/n...r-online-spat/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I hate amazon more than I hate ebay .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 18:44, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Actually the problem has been resolved via an email from a 3rd party
(Thank-you, mate) and I have instructed Amazon
NOT to refund me.

On the remote controller is a menu button (of which I was unaware
never having used it before on the original remote) and access to
the recordings is via a menu option.But it would have been helpful
for a note to be included to cover the missing button)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My irritation was the time and cost involved in returning something
of only £17 value; the post office is a mile away and almost
impossible to get a parking space here in Chippenham during the
working day, let alone the cost of parking (which I don't know
because of its cost, I avoid it all the time.

A mile away?

Walk you fat, bone-idle, lifestyle diabetic ****.

Is he fat? Judge for yourself....

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/n...r-online-spat/

Noted.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 19:16, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
[...]

WTF? The device has a button labeled "menu" and you couldn't be arsed to
try pressing that.
Do you still hate Amazon and ebay for your shortcomings?
What a pillock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Wrote in message:
On 03/07/2019 20:11, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 03/07/2019 19:55, Richard wrote:
WTF? The device has a button labeled "menu" and you couldn't be arsed
to try pressing that.
Do you still hate Amazon and ebay for your shortcomings?
What a pillock.

How rude!

Grow up, Sonny.

Tuck yer shirt in.

One r too many?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 12:29:50 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I subscribed to their prime. So I ordered an item it will take 8 days to
arrive. Free postage, but what about prime? A rip off.

The item's coming from overseas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 18:44, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I hate amazon more than I hate ebay .......

Its mutual, alexa says she hates you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/07/2019 16:32, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 03/07/2019 16:22, Jethro_uk wrote:

Apologies if I misunderstood the OP but if it was a replacement remote
control did you not look at the more man+dog sites. I found one to
replace a *really* obscure remote a few years ago on eBay.

Normally I'd go straight to amazon as a trusted seller and
only look else where if they can't supply. Saves having
to set up other on-line accounts.

I'm just returning an item from a marketplace seller, but the item was
despatched by Amazon. Amazon have arranged for Hermes to collect. I just
have to stick a return label on and sellotape the parcel closed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/07/2019 17:35, Mike M wrote:

A mile away?

Walk you fat, bone-idle, lifestyle diabetic ****.

That's actually very good advice. It's a pity you spoiled it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:53:47 +0100
GB wrote:

On 03/07/2019 17:35, Mike M wrote:

A mile away?

Walk you fat, bone-idle, lifestyle diabetic ****.

That's actually very good advice. It's a pity you spoiled it.

He is a ****, you wait and see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 14:12, R D S wrote:
Only it seems to me that everyone wants a moan about the high street
being a ghost town full of kebab shops and charity shops, and the
government being bankrupt because no ****er will pay any tax etc. but if
there's a quid to be saved...

I dont want to moan about the high street.,

Good riddance.

*******s screw you for car parking - who needs the high street?

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.