Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing a shutoff valve

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 22:34:16 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 18:13:20 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 2/7/19 3:00 pm, Deguza wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 9:51:09 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/1/2019 6:44 PM, Deguza wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 3:19:11 PM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 14:38:41 -0700 (PDT), Deguza
wrote:

The existing valve has threaded female ends as you can see on the photo he

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Frqoa1B33oXrgQlZOU8hOWZMUVRUSSQM

Can't you just replace the valve stem (kit), after you turn off the
water meter?

I suppose I can, but I really wanted a ball valve...

I can understand that, but looking at the existing pipe you may be in
for a bit of work. Some joints will be opened or disturbed doing the
job and they may be in need of replacing too. Be prepared to do some
other work along with the valve.

I think you are right Ed. You folks made the project a lot clearer for me.

What I was hoping was that somehow I can take the existing valve out by turning it around after taking the handle and the rest of the sticking parts out.

After all, somebody was able to put together the whole contraption without soldering anything.

I was thinking I could reverse the process of putting it together.

Deguza

You must realise that the pipe coming out of the ground was the start
point in the assembly process. You don't know where the finish point was
*inside* the house. That point, the first coupling, will be your start
point in reversing the process. You have to find the point where
unscrewing one pipe doesn't screw another pipe in tighter at the other
end. Then you can work back to your tap from there. You will find that
the task will be like Topsy, it'll grow and grow. Far better to fix the
issue with the tap and leave the rest of the plumbing be.

Particularly if the whole house is still plumbed with iron pipe.
It's the job that never ends. You repair a fitting at point 1 and
fittings at point 5 , 7, and 11 decide they want attention too -
IMMEDIATELY.. They don't give you an option to delay anything!!!

That is why I suggested cutting out everything he can get to and
replacing it with plastic. You can actually fish PEX in the walls but
you will need the tool for putting the rings on. You would need a lot
more tools and skill to do threaded pipe so it is a bargain.