Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing a shutoff valve

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:50:46 -0700 (PDT), Deguza
wrote:

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 5:22:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 15:19:05 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 14:38:41 -0700 (PDT), Deguza
wrote:

The existing valve has threaded female ends as you can see on the photo he

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Frqoa1B33oXrgQlZOU8hOWZMUVRUSSQM

Can't you just replace the valve stem (kit), after you turn off the
water meter?

That is a gate valve but he still may be able to rebuild it. If not
then you are unscrewing pipe until you get to the next union. I would
seriously think about cutting it out and replacing as much as you can
with PVC. It is a lot easier to work with and it will never rust like
that did.
One hard and fast rule, always put PVC into metal, never the other
way.
Do Not put a female PVC fitting on a metal pipe. It will crack. Always
use a metal coupler and screw in a PVC male adapter with teflon dope.

Interesting idea. I'll pass it on to my friend was going to help me. But see what he says about the PVC.

Deguza

Old time plumbers scoff at PVC but that is very popular here, only
being displaced by PEX. It is rare to see any copper and threaded pipe
was dead 60 years ago except in places where the plumber's union
rules. I am over 70 and I have never seen a "new construction"
galvanized pipe job for water in a dwelling. They used to use black
iron on fire sprinklers but the last job I was inspecting was using
orange CPVC sprinkler pipe.