Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Adding second 4-way switch...

On 6/30/2019 6:58 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 6/27/19 10:19 AM, dpb wrote:
OK, carrying on from the previous on extending circuits; have pulled
to the new junction box location--wasn't bad; actually less trouble
than I had expected and had ample cable length on the shortest without
scrimping inside the junction box.

OK, then I had another bright idea -- the dining room is the one with
the four entrance/exit points but only three switches--while not going
to even attempt to get the fourth location, it seemed like a nice
amenity to add a second on the east entrance at the dining room wall
itself instead of all the way to the exterior door.

The power is fed to the 3-way switch that was at that location
(exterior door/wall) with three wire cable running whither I cannot
discern precisely.Â* Opening the boxes, the 4-way is on N door, the
other 3-way on the W.Â* I made the hope that the 3-way cable went next
to the 4-way so put the two travelers between the existing 3-way and a
new 4-way and connected the 3-way cable travelers to the other side of
the 4-way...

Unfortunately, that apparently is not the actual path as the new 4-way
now acts as straight on-off:Â* in one position all other locations work
as normal; in other position none work.

I've got some other support work to keep the construction crews moving
I've got to go do so haven't been able to scratch head over this --
anybody here got time to ponder this out and see if can deduce how
must be wired and if I can manage to make this work without having to
tear into interior walls?

If I can't make this work, I'll just live with the location either
being where it was, or, perhaps even better thought, can remove the
dining room control from the exterior door location entirely and
reduce the number there...that may be even better overall solution
since there will be control of the entryway at that same new location
so won't have to backtrack to turn it off on coming home as did which
is why the DR switch needed to be clear out on the exterior
door...otherwise you turned yourself back into a dark house or had to
walk back the door to turn that one off because it was only location
for it.

--

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* You've probably thought of some sort of motion sensors and time
delays off instead of all the switches.

Have thought of but still have to get the power there, anyways, so don't
see the real benefit for the application. In earlier thread on
extending circuits had sidebar discussion same and my general
distaste for automated stuff.

Am thinking about one for the front step/porch, however, as realized the
extension of the porch roof blocks quite a lot of the yard light from
reaching the steps themselves and there's not a feasible way to get the
wiring from existing location to add another fixture where it would be
beneficial for the purpose. So, may use one of the motion sensors on
that fixture so that if don't turn it on before leaving it will provide
some direct light on steps coming home. Dad ran wiring for existing
outside light to the garage so it's possible to turn it on when coming
home and before the added porch it was ample to see the steps...we've
adding an extra 8-ft covered porch the roof of which will now be in the
way between...

But, just for the interior lights, no...