Bruce

Default New Home - Inspector Found some SERIOUS issues.

Gren,

Home inspectors usually take a beating on this board. They are called
"do nothings", "pawns for Realtors", people complain about minor
things the inspector missed, etc. In your case it looks like the
inspector found some things that saved you from making a costly
mistake. Do you think your inspector was worth his fee?

Regarding the roof, is it possible that the original roof was wood
shake over skip sheathing? Skip sheathing is boards with spaces
between them and is commonly used with a wood shake or wood shingle
roof. With your situation I would recommend that the entire roof be
removed and modern roof decking (either OSB or plywood) be installed;
then you can roof with composition shingles or whatever you want. And
make sure you use felt paper under the shingles and that all the
flashing is properly done.

The electrical system probably needs to be modernized. 60 amps is not
enough for most families today. And your main service panel probably
does not have enough circuits (more of an inconvenience than a
danger). Knob and tube wiring itself is not dangerous BUT it is
ungrounded (usually) and you also need to be sure insulation does not
cover the wiring in the attic (K&T wiring needs to be cooled by
free-flowing air). Is the service 120/240 volt? (Two wires coming to
the house is 120 volt and three wires is 120/240 volt. If it is only
120 then you won't be able to use most electric stoves and electric
clothes dryers.

If I were you I would make an offer based on what the repairs will
cost and do the repairs myself. That way you will know they were done
right.

Good luck.

PS - you called this a NEW home but it sounds like it is 60 or more
years old.