Martin Angove

Default Iffy wiring - should I worry?

In message ,
wrote:

I don't think there are any dangers inherent in using flexible wire
for this as long as the current rating is sufficient which it almost
certainly is. The only possible issue I can think of is the security
of the connections at the ends, as long as these are secure then I see
no problem.

It's not the current drawn by the shaver socket though - for this a bit
of bell wire would be more than sufficient - it's the potential current
supplied by the circuit. If the shaver is spurred from the ring main
without a protective fuse, then the flex really ought to be 2.5mm2 just
as a spur in T&E should be.

There are probably some nice equations somewhere where you could argue
that if the length were short enough 1.5mm2 might be sufficient, but
someone who has wired like this is unlikely to have done that.

On the other hand, if there is a SFU with 3A (or lower) fuse in it, then
0.75mm2 will probably be more than sufficient.

I take the point about the terminal security though, but this depends on
the design of the terminals. Many are quite able to take (thickish)
stranded wire safely.

Confession time: I wire downlighters using flex. It is firm enough in
the junction boxes I use for distribution, it fits better into the
(often flimsy) lamp terminals, and it is easier to lay safely away from
the bulb heat - a solid cable needs some persuading and will often
deform in just the wrong way the next time you change a bulb.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: