Posted to alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Lead acid battery charger (or alternator) switching to tricklewith load present?

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 10:42:59 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:54:52 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 17:53:21 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 12:27:13 PM UTC-4, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/06/2019 22:58, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 17:03:08 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/06/2019 21:19, Commander Kinsey wrote:

How does a lead acid battery charger (or car alternator) know when to
switch to trickle charge?

It doesn't.

Mine does, if I start my car when the battery is say 80% full, the
voltage will be 14.4V. After a while, something causes that voltage to
drop to 13.8, because something knows the battery is full and should no
longer be charged at a high rate.

I can understand it noticing a drop in
charging current if the battery is on its own, but what if a random
changing load is connected, as there is in a running car?

Ohm's law.

Explain how an alternator or charger can use ohm's law to distinguish
between:

To determine current, measure the voltage across a series resistor, duh.

1) A car battery which is full, with a load of 10 amps connected to it,
like two headlights.
2) A car battery with no load, which is not full yet and draws 10 amps
for the charge.

Two resistors?

The issue is not how it can be measured, the question is if any cars
actually do it, ie measure the current flowing into the battery and
use it to control the alternator. I've never seen it, never heard of
it. So far, all we have is Rod's flapping gums and he's made all kinds
of false claims and lies here.

And my claim that my car's alternator drops from 144V to 13.8V when the battery becomes full.

And he said they don't use a resistor,
that they just use the resistance of the battery cable. That doesn't
make sense to us, for obvious reasons. So, we're still waiting for
Rod to show us some documentation of what he claims cars do......

You do realise wires have resistance?

You do realize that the stupid Aussie troll who lies about most everything,
pontificating on some system, some method, does not mean that is what's
actually used? Show us some references or STFU.

It is a sensible idea likely to be used.