Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Extending Circuits

On 6/23/2019 12:18 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/23/2019 12:06 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 12:57:58 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 6/23/2019 11:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:36:50 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 6/23/19 9:03 AM, dpb wrote:

Yeah, as I noted earlier in the long initial posting I looked but
didn't
find a remote-enabled model that was small-enough fan diameter and
that
SWMBO thought appropriate design (and I admit I didn't much like the
alternative design, either).Â* Seemed as though Hunter figured if
it was
smaller fan, remote wasn't likely to be wanted so weren't too many
choices.Â* And, it was decreed it was going to be Hunter so there may
well be an ideal choice from some other vendor not in the hunt!

I was _intending_ to do no more in the new entry than restring the
original wiring back to its new location after rerouting the feeds to
the new junction box...this is now becoming something more so I'll
have
to actually figure out how is better arrangement.Â* There were already
four switches at that one location, adding two more begins to be
quite a
control panel!Â*

I did just discover there's a double 3-way switch configuration,
though,
that I'd not known existed -- never seen one before so that could
reduce
the box count/size even if not the actual number of switches if
locals
have any...

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I'd just about bet someone was laying awake nights
thinking about
your situation.Â* I'd just about bet that someone has an aftermarket
remote control
for sale on Amazon or Ebay just waiting for you to fork over your hard
earned
dollars for that gizmo.

Good idea.Â* I remember seeing one, an electronics module that goes into
the fan base wiring area and a remote.

Actually, I see that Hunter does have one as well as some others by
Leviton, Lutron, etc., ... still trying to did into the specifics
sufficiently to understand just what would need and how would interact
to the mechanicals if they could co-exist peacefully.

In doing this, I discovered that the Hunter mechanical switch I order
apparently really sucks for longevity so if end up that route looks like
will be sending it back in lieu of equivalent from Lutron or somebody
that knows how to build a switch.

The search/saga continues...

Does seem like common-enough of a problem there ought to be a zillion
ready-made solutions and "how-to" links but so far all I have found are
just conventional solutions with a single wired location or a single
remote as being common.Â* Have discovered that there are some Lutron
3-way controls; what I've yet to find is whether there is a dual-control
unit in a single module or you have to have two of them, too, one for
the light; one for the fan.Â* Their specification book is _exceedingly_
difficult to peruse; there are no links to anything, just page up/down
in it and then now links to the product sheets to find out any details
when you think you may have something interesting...

--

This would seem to meet the design requirements:

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-MA-LFQ.../dp/B0017O6YOE

Man, thought you had found gold for a minute!!!Â*

But, from the (very) fine print product description:

"... For use with Incandescent or Halogen Lighting only. Not for use
with Flourescent, CFL, LED, or other lighting options."

and I have already ordered the LED lighting kit version which seems like
something one wouldn't want to regress from this day and age.

PS. Right now I was just trying to figure out something that could make
work that I could use to figure out how many wires I need to pull
where...at this point I'm not yet even sure enough about that to finish
rough in.

I've got to go do what else I can get done; spent all morning and got
nothing actually accomplished towards objective...