Posted to alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
TMS320 TMS320 is offline

Default Lead acid battery charger (or alternator) switching to tricklewith load present?

On 22/06/2019 22:58, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 17:03:08 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/06/2019 21:19, Commander Kinsey wrote:

How does a lead acid battery charger (or car alternator) know when to
switch to trickle charge?

It doesn't.

Mine does, if I start my car when the battery is say 80% full, the
voltage will be 14.4V.* After a while, something causes that voltage to
drop to 13.8, because something knows the battery is full and should no
longer be charged at a high rate.

I can understand it noticing a drop in
charging current if the battery is on its own, but what if a random
changing load is connected, as there is in a running car?

Ohm's law.

Explain how an alternator or charger can use ohm's law to distinguish
between:

To determine current, measure the voltage across a series resistor, duh.

1) A car battery which is full, with a load of 10 amps connected to it,
like two headlights.
2) A car battery with no load, which is not full yet and draws 10 amps
for the charge.

Two resistors?