Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default brazing/soldering pot metal

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 11:36:08 AM UTC-7, Bob LaFrance wrote:
I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times already....

I fumbled my antique band saw getting it out if my truck. Of course it landed on the pully(wheel) and bent it to the point of cracking. I paid almost nothing for the saw and am willing to invest almost nothing to get it running. I am wondering if acid flux core solder might be worth trying. Whaddayathink?

Pot metal is a large class of zinc alloys; easy to cast, but not much for 'fabrication' by
welding or even rivetting. Get a new pulley, or take a chance on a miracle
solder https://www.amazon.com/Solder-Aluminum-Metal-Repair-0-25oz/dp/B000BUUTPU.

New pulley (if it's a DRIVE pulley, it doesn't need to be an exact match) seems best.