Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default brazing/soldering pot metal

I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times already....

I fumbled my antique band saw getting it out if my truck. Of course it landed on the pully(wheel) and bent it to the point of cracking. I paid almost nothing for the saw and am willing to invest almost nothing to get it running. I am wondering if acid flux core solder might be worth trying. Whaddayathink?

thanks
Roswell Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 11:36:08 AM UTC-7, Bob LaFrance wrote:
I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times already....

I fumbled my antique band saw getting it out if my truck. Of course it landed on the pully(wheel) and bent it to the point of cracking. I paid almost nothing for the saw and am willing to invest almost nothing to get it running. I am wondering if acid flux core solder might be worth trying. Whaddayathink?

Pot metal is a large class of zinc alloys; easy to cast, but not much for 'fabrication' by
welding or even rivetting. Get a new pulley, or take a chance on a miracle
solder https://www.amazon.com/Solder-Aluminum-Metal-Repair-0-25oz/dp/B000BUUTPU.

New pulley (if it's a DRIVE pulley, it doesn't need to be an exact match) seems best.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob LaFrance" wrote in message

I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times already....

I fumbled my antique band saw getting it out if my truck. Of course
it landed on the pully(wheel) and bent it to the point of cracking. I
paid almost nothing for the saw and am willing to invest almost
nothing to get it running. I am wondering if acid flux core solder
might be worth trying. Whaddayathink?

thanks
Roswell Bob

---------------------------
The load on the wheels may have to be many hundreds of pounds to make
the blade cut straight. Do you want to risk a failure when your
fingers are close to the cut?

https://www.forrestmfg.com/what-is-blade-tension/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:36:17 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob LaFrance" wrote in message

I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times already....

I fumbled my antique band saw getting it out if my truck. Of course
it landed on the pully(wheel) and bent it to the point of cracking. I
paid almost nothing for the saw and am willing to invest almost
nothing to get it running. I am wondering if acid flux core solder
might be worth trying. Whaddayathink?

thanks
Roswell Bob

The load on the wheels may have to be many hundreds of pounds to make
the blade cut straight. Do you want to risk a failure when your
fingers are close to the cut?

https://www.forrestmfg.com/what-is-blade-tension/

Hell No! I cut my favorite thumb off the first time with a Ryobi table saw. The second time I cut it off was with a Ryobi miter saw. The second time wasn't so bad because the nerves were already gone. Those Ryobis are vicious.

I'm going to scrap saw.

Thanks for heads up.