Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Extending Circuits

On 6/16/2019 2:17 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 12:57:35 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/16/2019 10:46 AM,
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 07:45:21 -0500, dpb wrote:

Yeah, many alternatives are _possible_; just getting the existing to its
new home will be good enough altho that one additional switching
location would potentially be useful. I might see if there's another
route to get that functionality as well altho actually on reflection
there isn't really a great location to mount the other side switch--as
actually the way I described to Micky of being four entrances with only
one not switched is really not quite true -- two aren't switched because
the wide opening into the entry area doesn't have any switches on its
wall because there is essentially no wall--they opened up that wall
almost entirely so the switches at the exterior wall serve the purpose.
We're making that distance longer by expanding the entry way, albeit not
but by another couple feet.

I guess I could cut in a box on the N wall at the east end...have to
think about that if can get in there to pull a feed w/o more demolition
than think its worth in the end...

As long as you understand 3 way and 4 way switching, adding new switch
locations is not that hard if you have a way to add the wire in the
wall. I am looking at one of those myself but the trick will be
getting 4 more wires down the wall.

I understand the wiring, yes...already had added another one for the
second garage when we came back -- Dad had only used the one for their
car but we're using both so I ran the extra feed to the other one a few
years ago.

The wall itself is hollow; it's whether I can get to the top plate to
get through it where would need to be is the question...will only be
able to determine that when we finish the framing of the new addition to
get it closed in enough we can open up that exterior wall to be able to
see what will run into.

Similar issue with the idea of replacing the on-off of the entry way
with 3-way in the same location excepting it has the additional question
of whether there is (and I doubt there is) the needed 3-wires to the
present location/fixture from the main panel--it's in the basement and
it appears the feed went up the wall to the 2nd floor ceiling joists and
then out and in the attic space of the entry. That was doable when did
the major remodel 'cuz had all the exterior walls open to insulate so
had access to everything then...and, I'm just not interested enough to
make a major re-opening of all that just to pull that one wire.

And, of course, the interior wall is also still lath/plaster.

I could show you how to do it with 2 wires but it would be wrong ;-)

(The scheme involves switching the neutral)

OK, got far enough yesterday to be able to uncover the weather wrap over
the interior wall so can see where the cables were run previously...and
what's there.

There are the two 3-wire for the multiply-switched locations and then
two 2-wire for the two lights that are singly-switched (entry and porch
been discussing that are just stuck through the wall sheathing above the
wide door header. There's sufficient length since they ran across the
ceiling down the outside wall by the entry door to reach over the header
to the new closet area through that original wall where can put the
junction box, then continue from there through the new framing to
similar location on the new wall. Will have to cut the exterior
sheathing to get access to run thru studs over the header but can see
enough to see it is feasible.

QUESTION:

SWMBO has decided now she would like ceiling fan/light in this entry in
place of what was just the light. Never had one, never wired one for
anybody else and don't yet have the unit in hand to inspect...

Am thinking would be nice to be able to just have normal on-off switch
just for the light at the exterior door (where original light switch was
in a gang of four box) and then, for convenience, mount the Hunter
switch that lets one control fan/light at the inside wall location so
wouldn't have to walk all the way to the door. (Being a relatively
small space, couldn't find a small unit with remote, the switch was best
found).

I'm trying to figure out if I can parallel that switch w/ a conventional
on for the light alone just as the entrance/egress control when only
need the light...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hunter-All-Fan-3-Speed-Fan-Light-Dual-Slide-Ceiling-Fan-Switch-27182/202033443

If you'd care to think about that while I'm doing demo work...