Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Constant shop vac filter clog

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 6:30:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 20:10:15 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Perhaps "baffles" was the wrong word. Something to direct the air
flow in a direction so that gravity can work "for you".

But for gravity to work, you have to slow the air flow. That will
increase resistance and lower suction.

Maybe, BUT any blockage that makes vortices will accelerate the chips
(and the air), as does a centrifugal separator. The high-dust-content
outer edge of the vortex is where wall collisions stop the woodybits.
It's just a balance against how much
suction you lose when the chips CLOG THE FINAL FILTER.

A real centrifugal separator can whirl so fast that even the smallest particles
hit the sidewalls, while the (lower pressure center of the) vortex
is flowing the near-clean air through the final filter stage.
That sucks up lots of power, just like baffles would.

Me, I work outdoors over a deck with gaps, and my nostrils are higher than the dust sources.
The dust is mainly on the shoes.