Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Type of oil

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 16:42:04 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 12:00:13 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 05:58:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

My mechanic likes to use Castrol extended and change oil every 5000
miles. I have alway s used Pennzoil 10/30 and changed oil every 3000
miles. which one is right? Or both of us right? Whaddaya think guys?

I think you are wasting oil.
3000 miles is far too frequent.
When was the last time you heard about an oil related engine failure,
even with people who run the same oil for a couple of years?

Yiou haven't been reading the automotive press - pbviously.

EVERY ONE of the "coking" failures, whether Chrysler, VW, Toyota, or
who-ever is a "lubrication related failure" - and virtually NONE of
them occured on a vehicle following the "severe service" oil change
specification.

I never even heard of a coking failure but I do know a lot of old cars
that were still driving around with 200,000 miles on them and maybe a
total of 10 oil changes. My daughter had one. It was sold running but
the body was so rusted out, and the interior trashed so badly, I only
got $900. The guy did start it up and drive it away tho. (1989 Accord
in 2001).

Was that where salt is used on the roads in winter or in Florida ?

My sister and 2 other ladies I know had the same philosophy.
Put gas in it and drive.