Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Type of oil

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:09:55 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, June 16, 2019 at 12:05:02 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 6/16/2019 8:58 AM, wrote:
Castrol extended and change oil

Synthetic oils allow for twice the mileage between oil changes. My new
car uses it and change interval in the manual is 6,000 miles or every 6
months. The Castrol is synthetic and the Pennzoil is not so you are both
right except the mechanic has shortened the synthetic period. Mechanics
and service centers are looking for business and it is best to tell them
to follow the service manual.

Doesn't sound like 2x to me. Cars were at 5K intervals with regular oil.
Even BMW went to 15K with synthetic, thought they must have seen some
problems because they backed off to 10K. If you only get 6K on synthetic,
something doesn't sound right.

At a certain point they are selling an oil change at a dealer, hoping
they can up sell you something else. That is what the Lincoln dealer
guy told me when I asked why they were giving out "free oil change"
chits, pretty much for the asking. I know every time I cashed one
they gave me a list of things I should have them do for me, at a
price. On the "free oil change" you just get oil and a filter. If you
pay them $40 for the oil change package, you get a top up on all of
the other fluids and inspections of other things, they will be happy
to replace for a nominal charge, like a $20 set of wiper blades (3).
It is real easy to have a $40 oil change being more like $100 by the
time you get to the cashier if you just say yes a lot.

BMW is a whole other thing. It means Bring More Wampum. A ****ing
battery can cost you $500 by the time you get out the door. .