Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Type of oil

On 06/16/2019 02:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/16/2019 1:24 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 6/16/2019 1:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/16/2019 12:12 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/16/2019 07:31 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I also use Wix filters , best filter on the market IMO .

I use either NAPA Gold or Wix depending on where I buy the filter.
I've been told Wix makes the NAPA filter. My preference has a lot to
do with the threading. The base of Wix filters is punched and
threaded into the body of the filter and I find it easier to start
than the brands that are punched outward, if that makes any sense.

Makes sense to me . In fact , Wix makes NAPA Gold filters . IIRC
the Wix number for your Evo (and some Shovelheads) is a 51215 , the
NAPA Gold is 1215 . Back around 1999 or so some guys on the XL-List
cut up a bunch of filters to see how they compared . Fram was the
cheesiest with the least and thinnest filtration medium . Wix won
over all , and I haven't used anything else since .

Throughout the years, I have often seen comparison videos of oil
filters and Fram continuously ends up at the bottom. Wix, Mobile 1,
Bosch, Purolater usually on top as well as a few others depending
who's doing the test and what model filter.

Well , I can't think of a less biased group than a bunch of Harley
riders - virtually all of them/us wrench on our own bikes - deciding
"what's best for my ride" ...

Except for Harley... Never, never use synthetic oil. Last time I was at
the dealers it was hard to find anything other than synthetic. Of course
it's extra special H-D synthetic. Sport-Trans has went the way of the
dodo.

After I use up my stash of special Suzuki and Harley lubricants they'll
all get Rotella and like it. The V-Strom already is there.