Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Type of oil

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 11:28:26 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 06/16/2019 07:41 AM, Meanie wrote:
Today's engines are well designed to drive farther than the 3000 mile
change, especially if using synthetic blends. Though, you didn't provide
vehicle info, I'll guess it as within 10 years old and the 5000 mile
change will not hurt it, thus, the 3000 surely won't hurt either. You're
just spending more money. It is recommended to follow the manufacturers
guide in the manual.

I get the maintenance light every 5000 miles and change the oil then. I
was on vacation so I'm over this time but it will live.

It's a different animal but when a company I worked for went to Detroit
60 diesels they also started to do oil analysis. The protocol had been
12000 miles for oil and filters but it was lengthened to 20000. The shop
manager said they still weren't seeing significant degradation at 20000
but they needed to set some figure.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Some airport FBO's can send a sample to a lab or you can get a kit from
some places:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...lling-you.html

A single oil analysis means NOTHING. You need to do them at regular
intervals to determine trends. When does metal contamination start to
accellerate? What about acid levels?. As soon as you find out where
the metal contaminatio nstarts you know the oil SHOULD have been
changed earlier. Same with the acids, and other "bad" stuff.

Once you have the trends you adjust your changes accordingly and
reduce your monitoring to the later stages.