Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Type of oil

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 10:56:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My mechanic likes to use Castrol extended and change oil every 5000 miles. I have alway s used Pennzoil 10/30 and changed oil every 3000 miles. which one is right? Or both of us right? Whaddaya think guys?

Follow the makers recommendations. I had a 1990 Camery and I think the
change was at 7500 miles. With the way I drive (mostly to work 15miles
each way) I put close to enough miles on the car I changed it twice a
year. Once at the anual state inspection and once 6 months later. Put
190,000 miles on it before getting a new car. Had no engine problems.

If you live in an area with dirt roads, drive only a mile or two each
time, or put the car to hard use , then the 3000 might be ok, but for
normal use I would go to atleast 5000 and maybe more if the manual says
so.

I don't put many miles on the cars now,so it is once a year when I get
it inspected that I have the oil and filter changed. I only had 3500 on
one car last year but had it serviced and oil changed.

My recommendation to my customers when Iwas in the business was to
follow the "severe service" schedule as better than90% of noth
american driving meets 1 or more of the conditions called out for
severe service.