Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_2_] Meanie[_2_] is offline

Default Type of oil

On 6/16/2019 2:28 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/16/2019 1:24 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 6/16/2019 1:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/16/2019 12:12 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/16/2019 07:31 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I also use Wix filters , best filter on the market IMO .

I use either NAPA Gold or Wix depending on where I buy the filter.
I've been told Wix makes the NAPA filter. My preference has a lot to
do with the threading. The base of Wix filters is punched and
threaded into the body of the filter and I find it easier to start
than the brands that are punched outward, if that makes any sense.

Â*Â* Makes sense to me . In fact , Wix makes NAPA Gold filters . IIRC
the Wix number for your Evo (and some Shovelheads) is a 51215 , the
NAPA Gold is 1215 . Back around 1999 or so some guys on the XL-List
cut up a bunch of filters to see how they compared . Fram was the
cheesiest with the least and thinnest filtration medium . Wix won
over all , and I haven't used anything else since .

Throughout the years, I have often seen comparison videos of oil
filters and Fram continuously ends up at the bottom. Wix, Mobile 1,
Bosch, Purolater usually on top as well as a few others depending
who's doing the test and what model filter.

But have you ever seen any actual performance tests that indicate the
visual comparisons have any relevance to actual filtration performance
and resultant demonstrably better engine performance in terms of fewer
oil contamination or other failures even remotely that could be
demonstrated as owing to the filter?

--

None and I highly doubt a filter will cause major damage to an engine.
The exception is installing the wrong size filter and it comes off while