Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building regs and fire safety reform

On Thursday, 13 June 2019 17:22:06 UTC+1, wrote:

Seen elsewhe

MHCLG and the Home Office have released these...

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ulatory-system

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...l-for-evidence

Owain

" We are ending €˜no fault evictions under section 21 of the Housing Act 1988 so landlords cannot evict tenants for no reason;"

The repeal of the section 21 right is fairly appalling. Getting bad news tenants out is too difficult at present, with all sorts of housing areas being blighted by antisocial behaviour. There is a very good reason section 21 was introduced.

As for Grenfell related risks, there are way easier ways to deal with that. And submitting a fire report before even getting PP is silly. As is giving tenants a say in the fire safety process, whatever that actually means.

Has the govt really learnt none of the lessons of the past regarding tenant/landlord rights? It seems not. The result is going to be that
a) all sorts of people can no longer rent a house or flat
b) rents will rise yet again
c) antisocial behaviour will increase
d) the rentable housing stock will dwindle even further
e) homelessness will rise even further

Sadly events like Grenfell, which are fairly easy to prevent reoccurrence of, seem to inevitably be taken as an excuse for governments to meddle ever more in areas they plainly do not understand. And the result is as ever more problems for everyone. I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that government is firmly focussed on scamming everyone out of more money any which way they can, without much in the way of genuine justification.

NT