Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Kidde 10-Year Smoke Alarms

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Jun 2019 00:55:34 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:26:34 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Anybody besides me having problems with a Kidde 10-Year Smoke Alarm- the
circular one with the sealed-in lithium battery?

I don't know yet. I have had it for maybe 4 years and I take the
battery out for 7 or 8 months a year when I'm not using the furnace.

Do you think that fools the timer inside the alarm?

Sorry, that's the CO detector.

For fire I have another plus I have the one that was installed in the
house, 39 years ago. I test it with a match underneath it every few
months and it seems to work fine.

I've had three of them properly placed and mounted in my house for a
good number of years now. But my experience has been that after three,
four, maybe five years- they start spontaneously going off for no
reason, perversely often at 2:00 AM.

I know the drill- twist it off the mounting plate, disable it via the
screwdriver slot in the rear of the unit, call Kidde customer service
and get a very pleasant lady who asks for the s/n and date of
manufacture printed on the rear label then happily FedExes a new unit
along with a return label for the defective one.

This has happened three or four times now- the most recent occurrence
being last night!

I don't know if I'm ready to go round with them again on this or maybe I
need to find a different smoke detector product...