Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kidde 10-Year Smoke Alarms

Anybody besides me having problems with a Kidde 10-Year Smoke Alarm- the
circular one with the sealed-in lithium battery?

I've had three of them properly placed and mounted in my house for a
good number of years now. But my experience has been that after three,
four, maybe five years- they start spontaneously going off for no
reason, perversely often at 2:00 AM.

I know the drill- twist it off the mounting plate, disable it via the
screwdriver slot in the rear of the unit, call Kidde customer service
and get a very pleasant lady who asks for the s/n and date of
manufacture printed on the rear label then happily FedExes a new unit
along with a return label for the defective one.

This has happened three or four times now- the most recent occurrence
being last night!

I don't know if I'm ready to go round with them again on this or maybe I
need to find a different smoke detector product...

--
I don't endorse candidates, and people who vote based on recommendations
of "celebrities" should not be allowed to vote.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:26:34 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

[...]

Maybe they are actually inspecting the old ones and improving the new
ones ....
.... Naaa, they are paying about a quarter each for these things from
China and they will send you 2 or 3 before the 10 years is up and they
cut you off or you get tired of screwing with them. I am not sure I
ever got 10 years out of a smoke detector, even the line powered ones
without batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/19 10:26 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

The Kidde PI2010 ionization and photoelectric hardwired interconnected are just as bad.* Last week I had one go off so I replaced the whole set of 4.* The damn things only last about 5 years.

I'll try the False Alert brand next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 11:45:15 -0400, Marius Josipovic
wrote:

[...]

I think it is probably dust that kills them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Yup, vacuum them, do not blast them.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Just did that. I'll see what happens...

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen victim tragedy
stories in the news?
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

I know blowing air in one that was chirping made it go off all the
time. Fortunately they are cheap and Amazon had them here in 2 days. I
don't screw with them anymore. I write the date on the bottom and if
starts chirping and it is 4-5 years old I chuck it and plug in a new
one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 12 Jun 2019 10:26:34 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Anybody besides me having problems with a Kidde 10-Year Smoke Alarm- the
circular one with the sealed-in lithium battery?

I don't know yet. I have had it for maybe 4 years and I take the
battery out for 7 or 8 months a year when I'm not using the furnace.

Do you think that fools the timer inside the alarm?

I've had three of them properly placed and mounted in my house for a
good number of years now. But my experience has been that after three,
four, maybe five years- they start spontaneously going off for no
reason, perversely often at 2:00 AM.

I know the drill- twist it off the mounting plate, disable it via the
screwdriver slot in the rear of the unit, call Kidde customer service
and get a very pleasant lady who asks for the s/n and date of
manufacture printed on the rear label then happily FedExes a new unit
along with a return label for the defective one.

This has happened three or four times now- the most recent occurrence
being last night!

I don't know if I'm ready to go round with them again on this or maybe I
need to find a different smoke detector product...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anybody besides me having problems with a Kidde 10-Year Smoke Alarm- the
circular one with the sealed-in lithium battery?

I don't know yet. I have had it for maybe 4 years and I take the
battery out for 7 or 8 months a year when I'm not using the furnace.

Do you think that fools the timer inside the alarm?

Sorry, that's the CO detector.

For fire I have another plus I have the one that was installed in the
house, 39 years ago. I test it with a match underneath it every few
months and it seems to work fine.