Posted to alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Very few solar panels on new houses

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 20:38:08 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 19:49:48 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 03:31:19 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 23:12:20 +0100, trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 6:03:27 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 22:00:45 +0100, trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 4:52:14 PM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey
wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:19:31 +0100, trader_4

wrote:

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 6:03:56 AM UTC-4, Daniel60 wrote:
Teresa Maynot wrote on 9/06/2019 8:21 PM:
On 6/9/19 5:28 AM, Daniel60 wrote:
Rod Speed wrote on 8/06/2019 4:35 AM:
"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
message
news On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 00:09:24 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Snip

But the owner of the house with the panels on it may
well not be able to afford the double panel
installation.

**** all cost compared to the whole house.

But with house prices so high now, most will be finding it
hard to find someone who will lend them what they need
to buy the house and so the optional stuff like a double
sized
panel will be what doesn't make the cut to get the loan
even
if it does make economic sense in the long term. I doubt
that
the double sized panel would make economic sense in the
long term in scotland. Bet it would make more sense to
out that money into shares instead.

$500,000 - $1Million - and up for a house! $2,500 -
$5,000 -
and up
for Solar Panels!

Sure, that's going to be the deciding factor in buying a
House!! ....
*NOT*

Please enlighten us where we can buy a useful solar panel
system
for
$2500 - $5000 or did you drop a zero?

https://www.eurosolar.com.au/ 22 x 275W panels for $3,791, so
no,
didn't drop a zero!

Bugger!! I paid about $4,500 for my 20 panel system just two
years
ago!!

--
Daniel

Wow, it sure is cheap to the customer there. Do you know if
the
govt is
putting a subsidy into that? Here in the USA, AFAIK, the cost
would be
at least 4 times that.

Maybe it depends what country they're made in? Those are big
heavy
fragile things to ship internationally.

Well, most of them are made in China and looks like Trump has a
55%
tariff
on them. Congratulations for finding a good example of how
Trump's
tariffs
are hitting Americans and not being paid by China, like Trump
lies.
It's still a big difference in cost. Here, you'd think that $3800
would
be mostly eaten up just by labor costs to do the installation,
with
all the work involved.

Why don't you make your own in America?

There is a federal tax credit of 30%, so
assuming you pay taxes, you'd reduce it by ~ $6K, but still it
would
cost about 3 times your cost. Just all the labor is
substantial.

What labour, easy enough to do it yourself.

The vast majority of home owners don't have the skills and would
not
know
where to start. Only a very small percentage are DIY.

Even I could do it, it's easier than changing the oil in my car.

Sure, I believe that. Wiring in a grid tied inverter, doing the rest
the wiring to code..... I'd venture that only a small percentage of
those
who can do an oil change could do it right and that's after spending
lot
of time researching how to do it right. We see pics here all the
time
of
DIY wiring, where people can't even install a light fixture
correctly.

You must have some really thick people. FFS the damn things come with
instructions!

Not for feeding the grid they don't.

Of course they do, why wouldn't they?

Because that isnt up to the installer.

Even things that are installed professionally have instructions.

Yes, but you don't get to do that part of the installation and
get paid for the electricity you deliver to the grid, or even install
the meter that shows how much you have generated either.

You put it in, get it checked, then get paid.

Just like if you rent a flat here, you can't do electrical work without someone checking it, but you can do it yourself first and only pay a pittance to get it tested by someone with the silly certificates.

All you do is connect the wires where the manual says to, you don't
even
need to understand how it works.

Doesn't get you paid for what you feed into the grid.

All you do is get someone round to check it's wired up right and certify
it.

Wrong again.

Prove it.

Just did.

Saying it's so doesn't make it so. Show a link.